Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Basic med

I took the AOPA self-assessment course and passed the quiz on April 25, but the earliest I could get an appointment with my primary care physician for reviewing the CMEC and having him perform the physical exam was Thursday, May 18. I had provided the AOPA BasicMed for physicians guide to him a couple of weeks ago to see if he would have any issues performing the physical and signing the CMEC, and he said no. Basically, he said it's similar to the physical exams he gives truck drivers and scuba divers.

After ten years flying as a sport pilot because keeping a special issuance 3rd class medical was cost prohibitive, it's nice to be able to fly 172s again as PIC and fly my LSA at night instead of having to land somewhere and get a motel room a few miles from home because I know I won't be able to make it back to my home airport before dark.

I think BasicMed is a great thing. Just my $.02.
    - Stan Cooper (K4DRD), Private Pilot ASEL, LSR-I, EAA 115792 Lifetime Member, EAA Chapter 124
    Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B, N601KE, KSTS

Maybe we should implement this for everything and anything a person operates. Be it a riding lawn mower or a Semi-truck, or an ultralight or jet. IMHO there was nothing wrong with this being ran like SP. The only reason it is not....GREED. No money in a person not seeing their doctor. But this is a different story..Or is it....

My 2 cents.
    Tony

The BasicMed cost me $20, the copay for an office visit, and it lasts four years. Insurance covers a comprehensive physical exam every year, and this was it.
    - Stan Cooper (K4DRD), Private Pilot ASEL, LSR-I, EAA 115792 Lifetime Member, EAA Chapter 124
    Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B, N601KE, KSTS

Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    The BasicMed cost me $20, the copay for an office visit, and it lasts four years. Insurance covers a comprehensive physical exam every year, and this was it.
    Yep a doctors visit today cost 20 bucks..If you believe this doctor only made twenty bucks and a few dollars in copay, well I have some ocean front property in Illinois for sale... I still believe the AMA pushed this for the reason of..money or cash flow. Look at all the people running to their doctors.. People can not wait to make the appointment to get back in the pilots seat. But they have been driving everyday not a risk to anyone. It's just a matter of time when you go to operate anything with an engine you will need a medical release. Sounds stupid does it not and it is.

Tony

Hey Stan, I'm waiting until my prescriptions run out before I go for my "Special Issuance", hopefully that will be one less hoop I have to jump through. I have stents and wear a C-Pap and at least one of my meds is on the "No Fly" list. After my last refill I'm weening off all meds. Sport pilot flying is all I do anyway but the availability of LSP aircraft within a hundred miles is very limited and stay booked up. ( 4 Champs within a 50 mile radius but plenty of 150's and 172's ) ! Of course I'll talk with an AME before I take the risk of not passing.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Yep a doctors visit today cost 20 bucks.
    Not for me. I am self employed so I have to buy my own insurance, as of last November there was ONE provider option under obamacare in the state of Illinois that I qualified for. The policy I was forced into has no copay & a $6500 deductible. Needless to say, I am avoiding going to the doctor. I believe the rate the insurance company has negotiated with the doctors office is just shy of $100 per visit (more than he charges for a 3rd class medical exam).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Not for me. I am self employed so I have to buy my own insurance, as of last November there was ONE provider option under obamacare in the state of Illinois that I qualified for. The policy I was forced into has no copay & a $6500 deductible. Needless to say, I am avoiding going to the doctor. I believe the rate the insurance company has negotiated with the doctors office is just shy of $100 per visit (more than he charges for a 3rd class medical exam).
    I feel your pain. In order for me to get health insurance under Obamacare it cost me 50% of my monthly income. That does not cover the deductible or meds. I also avoid the doctor. But now I have a pacemaker. Every few months I must check in with this at a cost of 100 bucks per checkin. This is done over something that looks like a cell phone.