Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How can I get my local EAA Chapter out of bed with the local cops and FAA?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Which operating limitation prohibits operating a properly equipped experimental amateur built airplane in Class C airspace while in contact with ATC for takeoff and landing?
    My question as well, what in the operating limitations prevents one from flying into a Class C airport?

Tony, with regard to "congested airways" area and "densely populated areas" one has to use common sense. There are no specific definitions for those terms.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...opulated-areas

You can get new operating limitations issued for your plane without the congested area limitation. I did.

I have found the magic words to change the direction of a presentation program or even a meeting that has just started:

"I need some help on..."

Usually the next word is "understanding," and then whatever I'm clueless about. All that knowledge and experience just starts getting thrown around pretty quickly...and sometimes winds up with me giving a presentation on the solution the next month.

Really smart people know when they're ignorant, and I can often times be the smartest guy in the room.

It all comes down to what a chapter views as as a meeting and a program. If a chapter sees them as mutually exclusive, one gets a meeting, then a program, such as a speaker, followed by a second meeting. All the real stuff happens in side bars and in little circles of folks casually in such environments.

If one has weak small talk skills, this can be daunting, as that's the entryway to side bar learning. It's even harder now that fewer people smoke; many a problem has been solved around a butt can in past days.

Frank "there will be a short break in the briefing to be resumed in twenty minutes" Giger
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

A lot of valid observations and points in the thread. Zooming out a bit further, one thing that I struggle with is the goals of the Chapter Office. At the end of the day, they are trying to add and retain chapters. Is the number of chapters a valuable metric of success? I suppose if you want to talk about your growth to the board and publish the number in the mag or on the website.

I would have preferred to see a focus on programming to support the local chapters (I know this has been discussed) and going beyond just the newsletter and Chapter Video Magazine. And as someone else pointed out, this isn't unique to EAA. VFW's, Shriners, etc. Choose a club, they are all looking pretty old and continue to use the same thinking and hoping for different results.

We can blame the member, or we can take a closer look at the goals of HQ and ask if 1,000 chapters is the right metric of success or a younger, more engaged group of individuals.
    Dennis Jenders, EAA #300475

I was told it's not EAA job to support or promote one chapter over another. When the EAA contacted me about this thread and comments made, I stated maybe we should promote one of these chapters and help it come back, so to speak. I received a reply back that it is not the EAA's job to promote one chapter over the other.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 04-08-2017 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I was told it's not EAA job to support or promote one chapter over another. When the EAA contacted me about this thread and comments made, I stated maybe we should promote one of these chapters and help it come back, so to speak. I received a reply back that it is not the EAA's job to promote one chapter over the other.
    Well...yes. I wouldn't expect EAA national to pour resources into one chapter while denying them to other nearby chapters. I don't see this as a chapter competition issue, but as simple fairness. EAA assists chapters when requested, but if they favor one chapter, the others are going to scream foul. You then get into the issue of how to achieve Most Favored Chapter status.

I belong to two chapters, and could easily attend meetings of two more. I could see some real controversy if EAA national only told potential local members about chapter XXX while ignoring TTT, YYY, and ZZZ.

Ron Wanttaja

For our merry little band, I can see it merging with another chapter sometime in the future...both have the nuggets to make an effective core of a chapter, but remove just two or three of the right people and...
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Just this week I answered an online survey from EAA about local chapters. I am in the category of having belonged to a local chapter in one area, and moving to a new area and not joining here. Two reasons - there are a lot of politics with some domineering personalities that keep me from being interested, and another, perhaps even bigger reason - I have never been invited to join. I have lived here almost 12 years and work at the airport, so local EAA members are well aware of me being a member of the national organization.

Anyone else notice that Choppergirl started off by throwing the hand grenade and then left us all to our own devices?
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Anyone else notice that Choppergirl started off by throwing the hand grenade and then left us all to our own devices?

Hi, Chris....see post #24. :-)

Jim