Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How can I get my local EAA Chapter out of bed with the local cops and FAA?

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I don't believe that either. But they are not the problem. The problem as I see it. Those who have been doing this for a long time are in charge. They are getting tired and really do not want the headache. Things have been going smooth and no one complains but the new member who is seeking something more then shooting the bull with a few folks once a month over some food and coffee. If these people would only step back and remember what it was like to be younger and wanting to fly and build then just sit in a chair, in a hangar, and talk about the good ole days.

Tony

Tony,

The new person is the solution because even without new members the organization will still change. But not for the better. When the old folks die. But just to keep you happy let's try another one: "water is wet".
    Last edited by Mike M; 03-29-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    But just to keep you happy let's try another one: "water is wet".
    Then why do they call them, "Dry Lakes"? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

I did not do an investigation of Choppergirl's background. My answer just responded to the question she posed. I stand by that response. As for the other issues...well, if she comes to our meetings, maybe we can work with her. Convince her that a LITTLE anti-authoritarianism is a good thing. (Question everything.) In fact, if we didn't have at least a little of each of the six hazardous attitudes the FAA goes on about, we would either be poor pilots or never take to the skies at all. (Or at least five of the six of them.)

But, If Choppergirl were to show up in my EAA Chapter I would advise her:

To break the rules, you must first master them. (Although I believe this to be true, the thought is not mine, it is a Geneva watch manufacturer's motto. It took me awhile -- read: some maturity -- before I understood this. I therefore have some tolerance for young people who do not yet understand that.)

Mastery requires understanding, not just accepting the rules as they are.

The fundamental characteristic of the rational soul is to ask WHY? This is the key to understanding. So don't just defy...seek to understand. Then you can make a rational decision.

And, from the movie Dr. Strange: "It is not all about you."
    Last edited by Mayhemxpc; 04-02-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    ...To break the rules, you must first master them....
    ABsolutely. If you don't understand the rules, how the heck will you ever enjoy breaking them?

ABsolutely. If you don't understand the rules, how the heck will you ever enjoy breaking them?
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Tony,

The new person is the solution because even without new members the organization will still change. But not for the better. When the old folks die. But just to keep you happy let's try another one: "water is wet".
    Yea you are right this is all about making me happy...As to trying another one. We have three local chapters. I have been to all three and turned away by two and did not even inquire to the third. I want to fly-in to this chapters. The third is located at a class C towered field. Even though we are told we are welcome to fly in, it's not something anyone flying something small like what I fly and my buddies fly will do. We avoid that class C airspace. The biggest issue is getting there. If one was to read ones OL one will find they really can not fly into this field because of the OL " operating Limitations.". But then again this chapter does no building or flying. They hold a breakfast every so often and have some airplanes fly in to show off and that is it. The closest Chapter that I know of that is active in doing aviation things like flying is over a two hr drive.

But this is all about me and making me happy...That comment right there shows the problem we face when speaking of EAA Chapters and those who are involved with these chapters. Its a way of thinking that needs to change...Who is it again that believes in doing the same thing will give different results?

But lets blame the new member pointing this out to the old timers as they sit drinking their coffee and talk about how everyone wants to rock the boat.

Tony

I want to fly-in to this chapters. The third is located at a class C towered field. Even though we are told we are welcome to fly in, it's not something anyone flying something small like what I fly and my buddies fly will do. We avoid that class C airspace.
    Why would two chapters turn you away? Never heard of that. We have builders, flyers, UL pilots, and non-pilots who aren't building but are just interested.

As for the third having meetings at a Class C airport, if you have a radio and a transponder it's not that big of a deal. If you don't it's a phone call ahead of time. If you're still unwilling I would assume you have car. Really, you can't blame the chapter if you're not willing to make it to a meeting.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

You would need to understand these chapters to understand why this happened. I am not here to beat on anyone. You would need to be in the area or go to one of these meeting to understand this. One club told me that they are all but done, well actually both have told me this. I will leave it at that.

We are talking small HB here. While we have hand held no one has a transponder. But it's in the OL that holds one back. No over flying congested area's. All area's around this airport are congested. Then if the Tower wants you to go into a holding pattern you are over some very hostile area's for this holding pattern. The head man for ATC at the tower is a really nice man, I have spoke with him. He said wait in that holding pattern for the green light if you have no radio. I just dropped it. But its all in the OL. One can not do this in our little airplanes.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 04-03-2017 at 08:01 AM.

ATC or the head man at ATC even said he welcomes Ultralights to fly in and would love to have them. But no one will over fly the area's to get to this airport in an Ultralight and I really do not blame them. This man at ATC or Tower is a really nice man.

... If one was to read ones OL one will find they really can not fly into this field because of the OL " operating Limitations."

Tony
    Which operating limitation prohibits operating a properly equipped experimental amateur built airplane in Class C airspace while in contact with ATC for takeoff and landing?

And I didn't blame the new member. I encouraged her. Coins have an obverse, edge, and reverse.
    Last edited by Mike M; 04-03-2017 at 08:19 AM.