Thread: How can I get my local EAA Chapter out of bed with the local cops and FAA?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

How can I get my local EAA Chapter out of bed with the local cops and FAA?

Probably the #1 reason I won't join my local EAA chapter, is it seems like every other scheduled meeting is about having some FAA or local cop give some speech about aviation law.

While I am not advocating any club should actively break the law (that's my job!), they should at least not be a shill and a tool and acting as an extension of the police state.

When I go to a club about building and flying airplanes, I want to hear and talk about building and flying airplanes. I want to see everybody else's project, hear about updates about them, hear about who needs help, and talk about building and flying airplanes, and maybe even watch someone give a demo about how to do something related to building and flying airplanes. I want to hear about upcoming fly-ins at other chapters or discuss ways to improve attendance at our own fly-ins. Or random presentations on interesting or crazy planes or aviators from the past. Maybe even on a small scale, having a "free goodies table" to... trade stuff, sell stuff cheap, or give away free aviation related stuff (old magazines, books, etc, if nothing else).

I don't want to hear an FAA representative give a speech about changes to aviation law. Seriously, I don't.

I don't want to hear a local cop give a speech about how he's in charge of enforcing new Drone Flying Laws. Seriously, I don't.

I don't want to hear that it's against club rules to take a Young Eagle up flying without an extra chaperon in the plane. Seriously, I don't. To think someone is going to try to molest a kid while also flying a plane... is just stupid.

I don't even really care about eating lunch while I am there, beyond maybe having some drinks and snacks on a table to munch on while we listen to presentations or stand around talking with other members.

The meetings are so dry and stale, they are actually kind of... painful.

And worse, I'm thinking, if I joined this club, are they going to rat and narc me out someday for something petty and stupid?

Do I really want to expose myself to that kind of extra needless threat, by surrounding myself by members being brainwashed into being hallway monitors?

If club meetings don't talk about building airplanes and flying airplanes, why should I even bother to come to the meetings, let alone join?

Is this just late mature flying club stage malaise?

Was it different in the old days?

Did things use to be fun?

Some old timers, let me know...

...and is there any way I can change this, or should I just give up on EAA?
    Last edited by choppergirl; 03-24-2017 at 04:38 AM.