Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing my seaplane to Oshkosh (new thread)

Bringing my seaplane to Oshkosh (new thread)

I joined the EAA and later an Ultralight club. I never joined an EAA chapter for those negative reason on the or at the edge of the subject mater here. I felt very unwelcome . The great transition to stamping out the Ultra light movement was well near complete.
    Now that I have succeeded in my endeavor , I would still not be accepted in an EAA chapter with any worth or opinion. I do not see any real future for a truly experimental organization . What is really more experimental than a new UL design?
    What fires up the minds of a younger crowed more than a real open to all venue?
    The EAA and there high and mighty attitude, largely fed by regulation and wealth.
    Ultra lights require only to fly within a small set of regulation and are then immune to extensive training or actually any training.This is so distasteful to them.
    Also require no financial elevation. No wonder I felt uncomfortable and unwanted. I had none of this, yet designed and I built and fly. I call that real experimental freedom. And and still many want to stamp out UL . EAA chapters continue to whine about diminishing membership .Its only a matter of time and you to will be gone. And there will be a small group of well to do jet pilots left. Certainly smaller.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 09-03-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Norm,
    If you could trailer your ultralight seaplane to Oshkosh 2018 it should be welcomed.
    I say "should" because my experience bringing an experimental engine was not entirely welcomed. I persisted and got it through the barricades and so was successful.
    If we are to save affordable basic aviation we must be persistent. Let me know if you have questions.

Bill I found much enthusiasm when I brought the plane to the local fly in. Its not that I try to make the point that the venue has changed. The story behind the story I have been met with adversity. There were always some approval. I was attacked by some mostly over the flying. What was the approved of the past was not of the day. I expect I might prevail for the plane but not my views of the abandonment of a much needed avenue to entry level flight for the general public, not just the well to do. Today's living expenses put flying far away in the closet of life. The LSA alternative has not solved that. Instead it has added to the news. With daily crash reports coupled with general aviation I am appalled how many . Ultralights never made much negative news. They may have seemed to be a pain in the A for some and have never been really accepted by the Chapters.

Bill I have always wanted to bring the plane to Osh. I had to finish , developing takes a long time when you are alone in the project. I finally have everything right as you know. To bring it to Osh with all the hack and chop visible. What do you think would it be scorned or still revered as a success?
    Because I am frustrated and aging whats the point now?

Norm, of course you should bring it to Oshkosh if you can. And camp next to it. Even do a forum about how you designed, built and flew it and learned to fly in it... incredible. I can help with a forum if you want.
    Dont worry about the hack on a prototype, it is expected. Paul McCready was awarded "Engineer of the Century" for all of his crude man powered creations. Paul made it crude on purpose. The crudeness embarrassed the Brits.... but McCready won the British Kremer prize because it was crude and worked. The prototype Rutan Quickie was also crude.
    I doubt your work is crude.

Norman Langlois, I second Bill Berson's suggestion. I'd attend a forum and certainly take a look at your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Norm,
    If you could trailer your ultralight seaplane to Oshkosh 2018 it should be welcomed.
    I say "should" because my experience bringing an experimental engine was not entirely welcomed. I persisted and got it through the barricades and so was successful.
    If we are to save affordable basic aviation we must be persistent. Let me know if you have questions.
    Norm,

Do not expect too much at AirVenure so as to not be disappointed. There is a lot of heavy competition and just like this site a fair number of individuals that will point out all the negative issues. That said, I would like to see it flying at the seaplane site although the traffic (lookie lews) there is less than 10% of the main show traffic. I would recommend to display on the trailer at the Light Sport area for a few days to generate interest (and give you a chance to see the show) and then launch at the seaplane base for some flying. Thursday is generally designated seaplane day and thus more activity at the base. You can launch from the seaplane base and join the LSA fly-by pattern but that is a little complicated and may not be that productive depending on how it is handled. I'de like to help if I can.

I have seen fantastic individuals with remarkable but unconventional equipment be driven away by skeptics and nosayers who know it all; sad but true.

There is no way to trailer to the seaplane base and launch, as far as I know. The road stops several hundred feet short of the lake. I was told no launch is possible.

Have to go to a boat launch

The lake can be rough. A Lake Amphibian pilot crashed the day I was there.
    Might be best to find a smaller lake, if airspace entry is available. There is no dock parking at EAA Seaplane base. It would be tied in the middle of the lagoon if displayed.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 02-20-2018 at 06:37 PM.