Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hmmmm...where to park?

The 172F and 172H are the corresponding civilian airframes for the T-41. I don't know what the WoA rules for these are. I've got Corinne's email around here somewhere if you want to ask her.

I knew I recalled some info on Vans website back in the day, and thanks to the payback machine, I found it. This is from the 1999 version of Vansaircraft.com. It stuck in my mind because I started my RV-6 in 1999 and had this site committed to memory. A partial quote and a link to the website:

The RV-6A was modified to include extensive electronics, and other minor aerodynamic changes to suit Nigerian flying conditions.

https://web.archive.org/web/19981206...ns/spe-naf.htm
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

There was a long string on this topic on the Warbirds site of this forum last year. It is a sore topic for some, including me. There are people (and I try to be one of them) that research a plane, find one, spend a lot of time, effort, and money to restore and maintain an airplane with combat history as a piece of living history. This has been an endeavor far more expensive than if I had bought and maintained a C-337A through F. But it is worth it to me because I am preserving history. Then, to have someone come in with a a model of an aircraft that in some variation of its type certificate had seen service in some military somewhere at some time, and then park it among the warbirds because of that (with or without bothering to paint-it up) is kind of disheartening. Now, if that particular C-172 had actually started life as a T-41A, then come on down and I appreciate what you have done to keep the history alive!

I am not entirely dogmatic about it. One year, a C-337, painted up quite nicely as an O-2B was parked next to my O-2A. I could tell from the serial number and other minor differences that wasn't an O-2B (although the 42 O-2B's the Air Force bought actually started life as civilian demonstrator models of the Skymaster.) I asked the pilot about it. He told me that the plane belonged to his father, who had recently died. He was trying to sell it and thought it would get more interest if it were parked in Warbirds than if he parked it in Vintage. I welcomed him as my next door neighbor and I was more than happy to steer all interested parties in his direction.

But generally I am NOT happy about such things. Personal preference and I know that WoA allows it. (They just can't be judged as warbirds.)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Navions are much the same way. L-17s came off the line just like every other Navion of the same time period. You can put one in to Military markings and the only way to tell is to look up the serial number. A lot of L-17s I've seen in Warbirds don't look particularly authentic. The laughable one was the one marked Ar Farce One up there. Never looked to see if that one was a real L-17 that had been ludicrously civilianized or just someone's idea that parking in Warbirds would be fun.

I always thought flying around in cricles during the L-bird demo might be fun some year,...

I feel your pain Chris, and we have a similar situation in the homebuilt area with factory-built examples of LSAs that want to park among the homebuilts. We don't always catch them all but when we do they are spun around and headed north (as in north 40.)

The Air Beetle discussion was just an academic exercise and stroll down memory lane. Personally, I think anyone who shows up in an RV and tries to park in WB should be sent of to Fond du Lac... except for maybe a certain senator.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    I knew I recalled some info on Vans website back in the day, and thanks to the payback machine, I found it. This is from the 1999 version of Vansaircraft.com. It stuck in my mind because I started my RV-6 in 1999 and had this site committed to memory. A partial quote and a link to the website:

The RV-6A was modified to include extensive electronics, and other minor aerodynamic changes to suit Nigerian flying conditions.

https://web.archive.org/web/19981206...ns/spe-naf.htm
    IIRC The Air Beetle had a taller canopy to accommodate the Nigerians. After spin testing they had to increase the rudder/VS height as well.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    IIRC The Air Beetle had a taller canopy to accommodate the Nigerians. After spin testing they had to increase the rudder/VS height as well.

Tail definitely looks taller. Hard to tell, with a slider vs. the more usual tip-canopy, but the bow does look taller.

Ron Wanttaja

Banned

Where to Park? With the Warbirds?

Car was formerly owned by my great grandpa, a fighter pilot, who actually fought Zeros.
    I don't think my dad ever told him what he did to his car ;-)

One of the reasons I picked the same colors for my plane; I loved riding around in Zero. My dad would say, "Let's go flying!", and as fast as my dad drove, we might as well have been flying.

More pictures: Zero - My Dad's Old Car after High School

Last edited by choppergirl; 03-24-2017 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    "The Cessna T-41 Mescalero is a military version of the popular Cessna 172, operated by the United States Air Force and Army as well as the armed forces of various other countries as a pilot training aircraft."
    The "Dash 10" (Operators manual) describes it as a R172R. Further describes it as a REIMS ROCKET. Six cyl TCM & CS prop. 4th tiedown point aft of the nose wheel. Not really a Skyhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    The "Dash 10" (Operators manual) describes it as a R172R. Further describes it as a REIMS ROCKET. Six cyl TCM & CS prop. 4th tiedown point aft of the nose wheel. Not really a Skyhawk.
    I believe that was the T-41B. The T-41A had an O-300 and a fixed-pitch prop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_T-41_Mescalero

I got a few hours on a T-41A, back as a CAP cadet in the '70s. Don't remember the engine, but it did have a fixed pitch prop.

Ron Wanttaja