Thread: Hmmmm...where to park?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Navions are much the same way. L-17s came off the line just like every other Navion of the same time period. You can put one in to Military markings and the only way to tell is to look up the serial number. A lot of L-17s I've seen in Warbirds don't look particularly authentic. The laughable one was the one marked Ar Farce One up there. Never looked to see if that one was a real L-17 that had been ludicrously civilianized or just someone's idea that parking in Warbirds would be fun.

I always thought flying around in cricles during the L-bird demo might be fun some year,...
    Yep..Navions in Warbirds. L-17's were NA-145 and Ryan Navion A. If I ever sell the Skypig, I could see getting a Navion. Almost as fast as the O-2, with similar useful load and only one engine to feed and care for. I would probably even paint it up in Army colors, but unless it had a military pedigree, I would like to think I would resist the urge to park it with WB. Some of the ones there are genuine L-17s. There is one that has been there the past couple of years that is a genuine L17,with full records and meticulously restored. Most are not former military. Generally the pilots are honest enough to tell you if you ask. (Tip: L-17s did not have wingtip tanks. Not saying than someone may not have an STC to add them on later, but...) On the other hand, if we didn't have the (non-L-17) Navions there, the Liaison line would be much less dense than it is.

Flying around in circles. More exciting than you might think. Dissimilar aircraft at the same altitude with about 1000' nose to tail (that's my story and I am sticking to it), 200' separation between stacks, and very tight maneuver box. Recovery is even more exciting. Spend more time taxiing and holding on the ground than in the air.

Year before last they let me do a "rocket run" with pyro on the ground. That was fun.:-D
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Sorry, Chris. First, NA-145 was North American's designation for the production Navions (which were Navion and Navion A, the latter primarily differentiated by the change in the carb/fuel system). The L-17A was pulled from the Navion production. The L-17B and L-17C came from the Navion A production. After the first 1200 or so, the TC and production went to Ryan. Ryan introduced the Navion B (260HP engine). The Navion C was a one-off that was used as part of the competition that eventually became the T-34 (Beechcraft). It was argued that the military didn't want side-by-side seating.

One of the alternative Navion type clubs used to give out two awards at Oshkosh. One for the best (civilian) Navion and one for the best L-17. It had to be a real L-17, not a civilian delivered one modded to look like one. I only remember this as I on the civilian award that year.

Ron, thanks for providing the correct information. I knew that you were the expert on this and if I got it wrong, you would provide clarification.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com