Thread: Help with prototype project

Help with prototype project

Hi to all, I have a problem. I am currently building a very cool prototype airplane and need help. My problem is that most A&P mechanics I have worked with over the years are excellent mechanics but need specific directions and specifications. This project is a one of a kind that requires creative problem solving and we are "writing the book" as we go. I need 1 or 2 mechanics willing to work in challenging conditions for good pay and the opportunity to be a part of this exciting project. Visit our website : www.privateerindustries.com for more info. Best Regards - Rob
    Rob Lueck
    Privateer Industries
    Top Flight Services
    508 Cassia Blvd
    Satellite Bch, FL 32937
    321-720-9554
    topflightservices@cfl.rr.com

You might want to post this on the homebuiltairplanes.com forum as well. Bill Husa (original designer of the Privateer) was a moderator there, known as "Orion", and people were very interested in the project's progress.

Banned
    I have followed your development progress for the last few years because I'm interested in all new airplanes designs that float--from your original location to the move to present setting to the unfortunate death of the original designer.

Since you have not specified actual skill sets and other professional qualifications you require, do you really want A&P's or do you need various types of engineers. If it's actually the latter, you might spend some time recruiting from Icon Aircraft. They're going on 9 years now without a single customer delivery. Lot's of people still on the payroll with many that have also been laid off. There must be some highly qualified engineering talent chomping at the bit for greener pastures. For the past year they've been trying to substantially reduce per unit production costs prior to actually producing anything by building a factory in Mexico(this after first building one in Northern California). Talk about bad timing given the Trumpster. Then again, if Icon didn't have bad timing over all these years, they wouldn't have any timing at all. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    You might want to post this on the homebuiltairplanes.com forum as well. Bill Husa (original designer of the Privateer) was a moderator there, known as "Orion", and people were very interested in the project's progress.
    Thanks for that, think I will

I've been watching the Ion as well . Spent too much and didn't deliver. Now what?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roblueck View Post
    I've been watching the Ion as well . Spent too much and didn't deliver. Now what?
    I'm sure it's a typo but it's ICON. ION coincidentally is the name of another aircraft company that's a good one with very good people in the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I'm sure it's a typo but it's ICON. ION coincidentally is the name of another aircraft company that's a good one with very good people in the company.
    my bad!

my bad!
    Have about 4 more yrs to retirement. See if you can drag it out for a while that other amphib company can probably advise on how to do that, lol

Hi to all, I have a problem. I am currently building a very cool prototype airplane and need help. My problem is that most A&amp;P mechanics I have worked with over the years are excellent mechanics but need specific directions and specifications. This project is a one of a kind that requires creative problem solving and we are "writing the book" as we go. I need 1 or 2 mechanics willing to work in challenging conditions for good pay and the opportunity to be a part of this exciting project. Visit our website : <a href="http://www.privateerindustries.com" target="_blank">www.privateerindustries.com</a> for more info. Best Regards - Rob<br>
    Rob Lueck<br>
    Privateer Industries<br>
    Top Flight Services<br>
    508 Cassia Blvd<br>
    Satellite Bch, FL 32937<br>
    321-720-9554<br>
    <a href="mailto:topflightservices@cfl.rr.com">topflig htservices@cfl.rr.com</a>
    Looking at the website this is a very cool design. The comment that A&P mechanics need specific directions is not surprising as A&P mechanics are trained to follow standards, practices, and manufacturer instructions. A&P's are not allowed to make up new design data or approve data on certified aircraft. For that you need a Designed Engineering Rep (DER) to approve data (on certified aircraft). Even for an experimental, having an experienced non-DER engineer on the team would be good thing for "writing the book".

Now here is the part where I'm confused. On your website there is a statement, "The first new Amphibian design in over 60 years." What about the designs like Seawind from 1982, Searey from 1992, or the recent Dornier Seastar?

Second point that needs clarification: On the about webpage there is a statement, "John sent the drawings to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and had them evaluate his design. They returned a positive report on his amphibian." Could you please post the ERAU evaluation of the design? As an alumni, I'm not familiar with ERAU taking an official position on any aircraft design.

Last thing I'm confused on is the statement, "After a year long search for a team to complete the construction of the PRIVATEER™ prototype, Comp Air Aviation of Titusville, Florida, was selected." If Comp Air is completing the prototype, why do you need to hire A&P mechanics? Wouldn't that be an issue for Comp Air?

Best of luck on the Privateer! I look forward to seeing it at the Vette Seaplane Base.
    Cheers,
    Kurt
    Last edited by Kurt Flunkn; 03-19-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: formatting