Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened Jeremy Monett

What happened Jeremy Monett

Any body seen the final verdict if available. The initial said they dove into the ground. Probably more to it.
    Need to know.

A friend told me if you don't want to die in an airplane, two things.

Don't run out of fuel.
    Don't hit the ground.

Too Simple?

Ray

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

NTSB Final report:

http://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Rep...Final&IType=FA

Previous discussion of Final Report:

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...ad-R-I-P/page4

Ron Wanttaja

Ron let me be the first to say thank you for up dating all of us on this. What I learned from not only this but just flying Experimental airplanes. Do not treat one as a certified airplane. If you do it can and will bite you.

Also Ron. Great read in this months EAA mag. You do some awesome work. Do you go out to an accident or do you report or write about the cause and effect? Also how did you get involved in writing these reports? I find this very interesting. What you do that is.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Ron let me be the first to say thank you for up dating all of us on this. What I learned from not only this but just flying Experimental airplanes. Do not treat one as a certified airplane. If you do it can and will bite you.

Also Ron. Great read in this months EAA mag. You do some awesome work. Do you go out to an accident or do you report or write about the cause and effect? Also how did you get involved in writing these reports? I find this very interesting. What you do that is.
    Tony
    Thanks, Tony, glad you enjoyed the article. I'll answer your questions in a separate thread.

Ron Wanttaja

What I learned from not only this but just flying Experimental airplanes. Do not treat one as a certified airplane. If you do it can and will bite you.
    Tony, I have not read Ron's new article but I did read the report and Ron and WacoJoe's comments in the thread linked above. I wonder if you could explain the reasons for your comment above. I did not see anything in terms of lessons learned from those two links that I would interpret any differently for certified vs. experimental aircraft.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Tony, I have not read Ron's new article but I did read the report and Ron and WacoJoe's comments in the thread linked above. I wonder if you could explain the reasons for your comment above. I did not see anything in terms of lessons learned from those two links that I would interpret any differently for certified vs. experimental aircraft.
    You may want to re-read that. For they do talk about it. They say that the runway left behind them was not a good call. In an experimental I would never leave runway behind me, were in a Certified CA style airplane I may do a mid field takeoff. Anything can fail as we all know. But why push your luck. All I am saying. Now if you don't like this way of thinking. That is fine, but some have been bit by not thinking this way..

Fly Smart and Safety will follow......

Tony

They say that the runway left behind them was not a good call. In an experimental I would never leave runway behind me, were in a Certified CA style airplane I may do a mid field takeoff.
    I guess that's where we differ in our reading. I did my flying this past summer in a 40-year-old C172 and a 70-year-old J-3 plus one flight in a 73-year-old Stearman. I don't see how issues based on poor judgement or overconfidence, like the intersection takeoff, apply more or less to experiemental vs. certified aircraft. Like you said, anything can fail at any time.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

I guess that's where we differ in our reading. I did my flying this past summer in a 40-year-old C172 and a 70-year-old J-3 plus one flight in a 73-year-old Stearman. I don't see how issues based on poor judgement or overconfidence, like the intersection takeoff, apply more or less to experiemental vs. certified aircraft. Like you said, anything can fail at any time.
    You are comparing GA aircraft to Experimental. But right in the article they state, had they used the 4000' of runway behind them we would not be talking about this today. Go ahead and do an intersection take off in an Experimental. It's not my butt on the line. But if I am in the airplane and you try to do this, well if I am in the airplane this will not happen with me aboard. Why? I would not allow it.

Tony

Actually, you said "What I learned from not only this but just flying Experimental airplanes. Do not treat one as a certified airplane. If you do it can and will bite you," and later, "In an experimental I would never leave runway behind me, were in a Certified CA style airplane I may do a mid field takeoff." I agree that the intersection takeoff was a bad practice, I disagree that experimental vs. certified has anything to do with it.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Actually, you said "What I learned from not only this but just flying Experimental airplanes. Do not treat one as a certified airplane. If you do it can and will bite you," and later, "In an experimental I would never leave runway behind me, were in a Certified CA style airplane I may do a mid field takeoff." I agree that the intersection takeoff was a bad practice, I disagree that experimental vs. certified has anything to do with it.

Those who fly Experimental and only experimental understand this. Nothing on my airplane is airworthy. A GA style or certified airplane is full of airworthy parts. But to each his own.

Tony