Thread: Rod ends for aileron push rods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rod ends for aileron push rods

Drawings I'm using refer to Fafnir RE43 10 Rod Ends. These have a 1/4" hole in the "Ball" and are hollow shafted, to fit a 1/2"OD shaft.
    I assume from the "RE" that these are ball bearing units.

I also need to source Rod Ends described as "Uniball" F45-19. These have a 1/4"dia. hole in the "Ball", but they are internally threaded 5/16-24. I think these may not be ball bearings.

These are clearly older part numbers and I'm having trouble sourcing them or their equivalents. These are for my Wolf Boredom Fighter biplane project. Sadly, the designer Don Wolf is deceased so I'd appreciate any leads.

Thanks. Ian
    Last edited by IanLaw; 03-16-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Aircraft Spruce & Specialy has a good selection of rod ends. Many are industrial rod ends - not specifically meant to be used in aircraft. You can probably find what you need there... one suggestion: make sure there is an "M" stamped somewhere on the rod end. This means it was Magnafluxed after manufacture and there was no cracking. Joel Marketello

I believe that fafnir was acquired by Timken a number of years ago. You may want to try Timken or see if you can find a similar part by Heim....

Many thanks Jam & Kurt.

Just rechecked my old Aircraft Spruce catalogue and find that the F45-19 item has been listed there all the time. Obviously, I need to polish up my reading glasses!

The "RE43 10" part with a hollow shaft isn't shown in the current Aircraft Spruce product list, but I have e mailed for confirmation & to ask if an equivalent can be supplied.

Thanks again!

Ian

Mcmaster-Carr. Has a large selection of rod ends of all types including MIL-SPEC

Thanks for the lead vaflier and I'll follow that up. A/Spruce have just confirmed they can't supply the ball bearing RE43 10 with the 1/2"ID hollow shaft, so I'm looking for an acceptable alternative. I'll refer to my UK "Inspector" in due course to confirm any substitute would be OK.

Thanks again.

Ian