Thread: Visiting alamo and san antonio

Visiting alamo and san antonio

If you are ever in the area, Id recommend a visit to the Alamo, in San Antonio. San Antonio is a short flight from two major cities, Houston and Austin, and only a couple of hours drive from either. The airline airport is not far from town, and if flying in by private plane and you prefer a smaller gen av airport, then Stinson Field, just in the south part of town is convenient with two good runways, full FBO etc. There was also a small turf airport just north of town, Twin Oaks, etc.
    There are a number of military bases surrounding San Antonio so may be some restricted areas.
    The Alamo is right in town.
    For those not familiar the Alamo is the old mission which was turned into a fort and the site of a major battle between the Mexican army and Texans ending March 6. 1836. It has been called by historians as the 7th most decisive battle over the years. The Texans lost but in doing so, made the victory so costly for Gen Santa Anna that he was defeated two months later at San Jacinto outside Houston.
    Texan losses were 183, as for Santa Anna, his adjutant. Ramon Caro, wrote, "We brought to San Antonio more than 5000 men and we lost 1544 of the best of them." Santa Anna called it " a small affair: but he had been careful to stay back out of the fighting till it was over.
    The outer wall of the fort is no longer there but the long barracks and the familiar chapple is. The museum can be seen in an hour, but the impression may stay.
    When I went to visit the city, I was lucky enough to have met some of the members of the Eagle Squadron , Americans who flew for the RAF, and we stayed at the nearby Crockett Hotel. This also had a history to it, as the place Teddy Roosevelt recruited his "Rough Riders". Ill write more about the Eagles another time.
    I am not sure if there is much if anything to see at the local miiltary bases, used to be some planes on display at Lackland AFB, including a P-51H, maybe B-29, and P-82. I was there long ago for basic training anb I dont have any desire revisit, short but not sweet. No less than Charles Lindberg was once a flying cadet at Brooks and later Kelly bases.
    There are restaurants and hotels along the River Walk and of course some of the world's best Mexican food and good Bar B Q.
    One caution, can be really hot in the summer there, of course everything is air conditioned but it is more pleasant in the other 8 months of the year and can be really nice in spring, fall.
    On another subject the CAF has units at and near San An, and their headwaters in now at Dallas Executive ( was Redbird) airport where P-51s were built.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-10-2017 at 01:09 PM.

We have a winter home in the San Antonio area and spend at least part of the winter down there. The old story goes (with the tourists) "Why did they put the Alamo right in the middle of town (San Antonio) it's so hard to get to?" I also did my basic at Lackland in 1957 (June, July, August). Hot, Hot, Hot and those were the old WW2 barracks with no insulation and no air conditioning. The Alamo and Alamo story is interesting and they have a 15 minute video that pretty well explains it. The Flying Tiger Association used to have a small store across from the Alamo but it closed several years ago. I doubt many of those guys are left anyway. I've haunted most of the airports is the local area but have yet to find the friendly little field like we have at home in Wisconsin with a coffee pot and bunch of airport loafers hanging around to tell flying lies. Stinson is nice and interesting with the history and there is a museum on the end of the field. Has a 105 outside like my cousin flew in Nam. I believe Twin Oaks is hard surface although I haven't checked it out in a few years. Looks 'exciting' to land there, though as it's on a 'grade' (uphill/downhill) if I remember correctly and not that long. My preference is to visit the CAF museum in San Marcos (about 40 miles north) on the old Gary AAF field. They have a number of flying aircraft that you can get up close to without getting chased away. They even let me crawl around in the B-25. My favorite is the P39 just for the looks. Many static aircraft on Lackland but I'm not sure you can get on base anymore unless you are retired or know someone. They have one of the old WW2 barracks set up just like it was in the 50's -early 60's. I believe the rest have been demolished. Pretty sure my foot prints on still on the parade ground somewhere .
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

The last time I was in San Antonio was for school at FS next to the airport in 2005 or so. It was sometime in September and the first few days were 104F.
    Some years before that, I did get to see the Alamo and was surprised that it was in the heart of downtown. There are some interesting displays inside and I would recommend it to anyone. The river walk is interesting with it's shops and restaurants.
    While at school I did get a day off and drove around the area, I stopped at Randolph and asked if they had any tours. I was hoping to get in and see the famous base that I've seen in some old movies.

I have a couple of retired Air Force friends in San Antonio. One works on Randolph so I was there and had lunch with him last week. Interesting base as it's been kept with 'historical look' or much the same as in the 1940-50's. I believe he said his office was the old cadet training room from the 40's. Since 9-11 everything has been tightened up security wise. My son is a high school administrator in SAT so we are down several times a year to visit his family and only grands. Anyway, before 9-11 you could get a visitors pass but even with my AF honorable discharge papers I can't on unless I know someone. (How are you doing Jim? If you get into SAT on one of your trips give me a shout and maybe we can have dinner or something. I know all the greasy spoons down here, Mike).
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Like I said Mike, I haven't been to SAT in quite a few years, but you never know. Most of our trips are back and forth to FL, or AZ. Tomorrow it's Fort Meyers and back, again.