Thread: EAA Chapter Build Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EAA Chapter Build Project

Hello there!

My name is David Leiting, and I am with the EAA Chapter Office in Oshkosh. I was wondering if there were any chapters out there that have recently completed a build project or that are rapidly approaching the completion of a project.

If so, please let me know!

Thanks!
    David Leiting Jr. EAA Lifetime #579157 -
    EAA, Eagles Program Manager

Quote Originally Posted by David Leiting View Post
    Hello there!

My name is David Leiting, and I am with the EAA Chapter Office in Oshkosh. I was wondering if there were any chapters out there that have recently completed a build project or that are rapidly approaching the completion of a project.

Thanks!
    David, to take you completely off course, does EAA allow chapters to own/fly aircraft now? When I was more deeply involved in the local chapter, that was prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    David, to take you completely off course, does EAA allow chapters to own/fly aircraft now? When I was more deeply involved in the local chapter, that was prohibited.
    Good Morning Kyle,

EAA Chapters are still unable to own/fly their own aircraft. However, there is a current model that allows chapters to set up flying clubs immediately alongside the chapter to operate the aircraft. The club becomes a separate legal entity and does not use EAA in the title of the name. Being a completely separate entity actually has quite a few advantages. First and foremost is the separation of finances. Chapter members who don't fly the airplane have peace of mind knowing that their dues are directly benefiting programs that they use rather than the airplane. Additionally, this makes financial record keeping much easier. Another benefit is the separation of power. The flying club will have it's own officers and board members, separate from the chapter's. Of course you may get some overlap, but by and large this allows for more efficient decision making with the aircraft and its operation.

Even though the club is separate from the chapter, the flying club members are all chapter members, the aircraft can be a chapter built aircraft, the chapter hangar is used to house the aircraft, etc.

Your question was not completely off course by any means. The reason I asked the above question, was to get a feel for any chapters that might be interested in setting up this flying club model.

Hi, David;

Not to appear cold or anything, but are you keeping tabs on the Give Wings build projects that resulted from Convention 2015? IIRC, each chosen chapter was supposed to make a commitment to fly their completed project to Oshkosh in 2017.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Hi, David;

Not to appear cold or anything, but are you keeping tabs on the Give Wings build projects that resulted from Convention 2015? IIRC, each chosen chapter was supposed to make a commitment to fly their completed project to Oshkosh in 2017.

Hi Carl,

Myself and the folks here at HQ have been keeping up with the progress on these projects. They are all making great strides, so don't be surprised if you seem them in Oshkosh this summer.

EAA Chapters are still unable to own/fly their own aircraft. ....

..., the aircraft can be a chapter built aircraft....

So, when a chapter is building it, who must own it ? Can a chapter own the project and then just must sell it before it's airworthy ?
    Or... must the ownership be some other entity that just "allows" the chapter to build it?

How is that working for the chapters that received the projects ? Who owns those ?

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    So, when a chapter is building it, who must own it ? Can a chapter own the project and then just must sell it before it's airworthy ?
    Or... must the ownership be some other entity that just "allows" the chapter to build it?

How is that working for the chapters that received the projects ? Who owns those ?

Bryan

Hello Bryan,

Great question, as that is one that we frequently receive here in Oshkosh.

I will first address the question of who may own a build project. The answer to that, is anyone! A chapter is allowed to own the project while it is under construction. Additionally, the chapter is more than welcome to assist with the building of a project own by another individual or entity. If a project is donated to the chapter, it is usually kept under chapter ownership until the project is complete.

EAA's Chapter Insurance only prohibits the "owning, operating and/or leasing an airworthy aircraft as a chapter." The key word in this guideline is airworthy. A Chapter can own the aircraft/project up until the moment that the aircraft is considered airworthy. At this point, a separate entity, such as a flying club or chapter member, must take ownership of the aircraft.

If the chapter wishes to build an airplane, and then fly it after the build is complete, they must simply set up a separate legal entity to own the aircraft. The chapter can still hangar the aircraft, work on the aircraft (free of charge), and have members fly the aircraft. The individuals flying it will just be doing so as the part of a new entity with completely different insurance.

I hope this help answer your questions.

Thanks!

.... who may own a build project. The answer to that, is anyone! A chapter is allowed to own the project while it is under construction. Additionally, the chapter is more than welcome to assist with the building of a project own by another individual or entity
    Thanks for the reply and information David.
    I presume the above has been blessed by the headquarters Risk Management group?

The reason I ask and am looking for that clarification is that we had a member attend one of the chapter workshops and walked away with a slightly different interpretation in that a project could not be owned by an individual that was not also an EAA member (and maybe also a chapter member??) This was evidently discussed, though no written guidance provided.

But yet you also mentioned that another "entity" could own the project. Presumably this could be another non-profit or group or organization that is not at all otherwise associated with aviation. Is this correct ?

Can you clarify ?

Thanks
    Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello there!

Thanks!
    EAA20 in San Carlos California is building an RV 12. We are just about finished with the tail kit. A bit of a ways to go still.

Sam, sound fantastic! How long has your chapter been working on the kit?