Thread: Combined - GPS, AHARS, G-meter ADSB-in - installed

Combined - GPS, AHARS, G-meter ADSB-in - installed

There has been a development in the open source ADS-B in receivers - now with AHRS and WAAS GPS. Pressure altitude . Now available for certificated aircraft permanent mount/install using a tablet in the cockpit. Open Flight Solutions FlightBox Pro. I have the portable Kit version and it works great. This is a very affordable product.

No AOA? (Whoops, wrong forum).

Well. That was an underwhelming level of interest.

FlightBox Pro – FAA Approved For Permanent Installation
    Open Flight Solutions has received FAA approval for FlightBox Pro, a new version of our FlightBox ADS-B / GPS / AHRS system which can be permanently installed in certified aircraft as a minor alteration. FlightBox Pro, priced at $675, provides weather, traffic, WAAS GPS, barometric altitude, G-force, and advisory attitude data to applications running on tablets, smartphones, and portable navigators. Coupled with a tablet and a mount, FlightBox Pro serves as the core of a powerful yet inexpensive MFD. https://www.openflightsolutions.com/introducing-flightbox-pro/

Wow. I missed your first post about this, Mr Hefflefinger. And it was the first I've heard about FlightBox Pro. When was this unit first made public? (yeah, guess I might be part of the 2% who never get the word)
    Last edited by Mike M; 03-28-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Mike,
    FlightBpx was crowd sourced last year as a Super Easy kit assembly based on STRATUX ( http://stratux.me/) and fully open sourced. Although there were those who just went out and bought the "stuff" and assembled them - downloaded the O/S etc from the web, many were looking for a single source for all parts and a really good case to mount it in. Steve at Open Flight Solutions (aka FlightBox) stepped into this and put in the effort to source quality parts, design the case, test components and kit-out the receivers for a reasonable fee. The big kicker waiting in the wings was to add AHRS to the ADS-B In receiver(s) which had issues with hardware, firmware and testing. I was an early adopter and have added the AHRS Beta module to my existing dual frequency FlightBox. Since this product line is open source there are pretty close to "at cost" updates available or you can reprogram your SD card at home for free.

Steve has taken the effort to get approval for an installed version of this product - known as FlightBox Pro. It is for the most part the exact same "guts" as the portable version. This opens up the certificated world to a really inexpensive ADS-B In and AHRS (MDF) solution.
    Steve is taking advanced orders for the Pro version and has hundreds of the other units in the field. Usually selling out of batches of parts/units in just a week or so.

As a disclaimer _ I am not affiliated with or have been , or will be affiliated with Open Flight Solutions the makers of FlightBox products. Just an enthusiastic supporter of open source products - you shouldn't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on avionics.

Thanks, Jim. I built a stratux before seeing flightbox. Single channel, no AHRS because it seemed to stagnate and I was impatient. I was amazed to see your post about flightbox pro. I'm running it plus Talos Aeolus for AHRS because Aeolus was available and has pitot/static input. This field is changing fast! Next, ADS-B out! (we can hope, right?)