Thread: Experimental DAR ?

Experimental DAR ?

Whatever happened with the Experimental DAR program for issuing Homebuilt Airworthiness Certificates?.
    I asked the FAA at the last I.A. meeting (two weeks ago) and he said the FSDO doesn't do EA-B inspections at all anymore and he didn't know who does.

I have heard that some retired FAA will do it for cash. This seems like moving to third world extortion to me and I want no part of that.
    And I also don't want to pay a private DAR $1000 either, for a dirt simple single seat (almost ultralight) design that might cost $3000 to build.

Does the volunteer Experimental DAR exist?

edit: looks like the EAA DAR list has not been updated in years.
    FAA list is here, but doesn't list volunteer or not: https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...TDirectory.pdf
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 03-03-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Bill,

The program still exists for new DAR applicants to get a scholarship from EAA to help defer some of the cost of their initial training. This is the reason many DARs initially offered their services on a volunteer basis. However, they were/are only required to volunteer their DAR services for two years after receiving the scholarship from EAA. Most DARs I've spoken to that were originally volunteer DARs have switched to fee-based services. There is quite a bit of expense involved in keeping one's DAR authorization current, and a good bit of time involved in processing each inspection (over and above the time spend on the actual physical inspection of the aircraft). It's pretty hard to continue to offer these services for free. Yes, the volunteer DARs were/are allowed to be reimbursed for any direct expenses incurred for each inspection, but that doesn't really cover all the overhead involved. Each individual DAR has to make the choice as to whether they want to continue to act in a volunteer capacity or if they want to charge a fee for their services. As you have discovered, most have decided to charge a fee.
    Cheers!

Joe

Thanks Joe,
    I think any A&P should be authorized to do the airworthiness inspection.
    At least for anything in the simple Light Sport category.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Thanks Joe,
    I think any A&P should be authorized to do the airworthiness inspection.
    At least for anything in the simple Light Sport category.

I believe many a home builder would agree with you..