Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zenith 701 engine-REVISED engine requirement

Zenith 701 engine-REVISED engine requirement

Friends,

Since this aircraft will be used in a humid environment the following recommendations have been made:

I recommend the Rotax 912 (80 HP) with a TBO of 2000 hrs which means that we should look for a 2007 or later model engine.

Hopefully, the rollout of the fuel injected 912 100 HP engine will make more of the 80HP engines of the vintage we want, available. We should be looking for an engine that has a clean history, has a good reason for being for sale, with relatively few hours on it and which has not been sitting around for a long time.

Any engine for us, or further recommendations will be appreciated.

Jay Schwab
    jsschwab@juno.com

Still no help, if someone has ideas.

How important is a factory supplied firewall forward (FWF) kit to you (rolling your own can be a significant amount of extra work)? Also not sure what humidity has to do with it unless you are extrapolating that you'll be operating with a high DA a lot of the time. In that case there's no substitute for HP so I'd go with the factory FWF kit and the 912ULS (100HP). Hopefully someone with a non-Rotax solution will chime in for you.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I may know someone who has a rotax 912 for sale . If you want I can contact them for more info on it.

If someone has a rotax 912 for sale, I would greatly appreciate contact info. Mine is jsschwab@juno.com; 302.668.4649

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    How important is a factory supplied firewall forward (FWF) kit to you (rolling your own can be a significant amount of extra work)? Also not sure what humidity has to do with it unless you are extrapolating that you'll be operating with a high DA a lot of the time. In that case there's no substitute for HP so I'd go with the factory FWF kit and the 912ULS (100HP). Hopefully someone with a non-Rotax solution will chime in for you.

Todd,
    Thank you for the input. I am forwarding your suggestion to our team. jsschwab@juno.com

Todd,
    I am "loving" your blog. I would be interested in an update on your RV 10.

I was at Oshkosh 2016 and there was a huge fly-over of RVs to commemorate the RV anniversary. Cool stuff!!

Jay

Slightly revised specifications. Can use USED Rotax 912-here are specs.

1 . The best option is an 80 hp 912 used but 2007 or newer which include the 2000 hour case.
    2. OR a 2007 or newer 914 with pilot limiting mp to allow usage of 87 octane fuel.

Thanks for keeping eyes open.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jsschwab View Post
    Todd,
    I am "loving" your blog. I would be interested in an update on your RV 10.

I was at Oshkosh 2016 and there was a huge fly-over of RVs to commemorate the RV anniversary. Cool stuff!!

Jay
    Jay,
    My plane will have been flying for 2 years in May. I'm taking in for paint next week. If you go to o Osh this year look me up with in HBC and I'll give you the nickel tour.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Love to see you and the plane

Jay,
    My plane will have been flying for 2 years in May. I'm taking in for paint next week. If you go to o Osh this year look me up with in HBC and I'll give you the nickel tour.
    Todd,
    I expect to go to Oshkosh this year. I went to the Homebuilders Center last year, BUT did not know what I was looking at.
    I have put you in my calendar to be sure to look you up.

Jay