Thread: Found Zenith 701--Parts needed

Found Zenith 701--Parts needed

I recently posted for a Zenith 701 aircraft and was able to find it. Aircraft will be used in Papua, New Guinea. This video will give you an idea how rugged the environment is.

Now we are looking for parts to complete the build. Parts needed are: an engine [Maybe Rotax 912- Even an older one needing updating is fine.], engine mount, firewall forward kit and propeller. Would consider engines by Lycoming and Continental.

Thank you for your interest.

Jonathan Schwab-jsschwab@juno.com

We need a Rotax 912 = 80 HP or a Continental O-200 = 100 HP or a Lycoming O-233 = 108 up to 115 HP.

The essential element is an engine that will happily burn auto fuel with an octane rating in the mid to upper 80s.

Jonathan

VW

Quote Originally Posted by Fokker Builder View Post
    VW
    Do you suggest a VW? Do you have one for sale?

Engine selection depends on the engine weight the plane can tolerate up front without violating the CG limits. I'd check into acceptable engines for that plane before asking for engine availability.
    It's easy to install an engine that is too heavy for a given plane. The 912 weighs about 140 lbs ready to fly; others listed may be much heavier and effect flying qualities.

JS,

I think I saw the other day that you found an engine. If that falls through you should be able to find a VW suitable online or contact any of the VW aero manufacturers.

Cheers
    Jim

Thank you, Bob. I am passing this on to the new plane owner.

Thank you. I'm forwarding the reply to the new plane owner. I find it very interesting that a VW engine is SO solid.

Do you have any experience using low octane fuel? Have you used one in high humidity?

Nice to hear your "queen's accent", :-)
    Jay

Here is the 701 old home and new home.

Here is the 701 old home and new home.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I recommend that you register the plane with Zenith in Mexico, MO. I was just there last week building a rudder. From what they said, they will still support "2nd" owners. I imagine that you will get all the help and parts you need. They are great folks to work with, as well!