Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flanged lighting holes

Flanged lighting holes

I am brand new to SW and I can barely get it around the patch. I have a friend that is halfway decent with it and he is giving me some dual but, I must admit it is a struggle. Any way, does anybody out there know a way to make flanged lighting holes for a spar shear web? I can make a hole alright but it sure would be nice to put a flange on it. Anyone???Buehler....Buehler....

Try the "Bob Stick". Here's a video:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=820371239001

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Do you mean making flanged holes in your SW digital model, or actually making flanges?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    Do you mean making flanged holes in your SW digital model, or actually making flanges?
    Ha! I didn't even notice the sub-forum...

The easiest way, if you have a number of different parts that need this feature, would be to use a forming tool. The part would have to be a sheet metal part and you would have to create the forming tool (or tools if there is more than one size). Another way would be to use a Revolved Boss which would not require the part to be a sheet metal part but you will need to determine how big to make the hole because the flange will be inside the original hole when you're done.

Below is a Swept Boss used to create a bead. The Revolved Boss works essentially the same way.

Name:  SWx Bead Seq1.JPG
Views: 1922
Size:  61.3 KB
    I cut the hole first and this hole is the outline of the bead with the radii.

Name:  SWx Bead Seq2.JPG
Views: 1940
Size:  64.6 KB
    This is the profile of the feature.

Name:  SWx Bead Seq3.JPG
Views: 2319
Size:  79.0 KB
    The finished bead with the sketches shown.
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 02-27-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Add Images

Whoa up here boys...I'm not much of a blogger or social media kind of guy so maybe I made a mistake. I posted this under SolidWorks forum I thought. SW short for SolidWorks. I am glad to see all of the quick responses though. As for making flanged holes in sheet metal, that's pretty easy. I think I made my first one about 35 years ago. Designing them in SW is another story. That requires a skill set I am struggling to master. Kinda like flying a taildragger for the first time, only much worse. So I have been able to draw my spar flange and I need to put a 1/4 inch flange on the 3 inch lightning holes I have in my SW sketch. How does one do this? A step by step procedure would be good for me. And by the way, on making holes with flanges on them in the real world, do yourself a favor. Buy a flanging hole punch. You will be glad you did.

see my response below...

Here's the equivalent of a flanging hole punch in SWx;

Name:  Flanged Hole in SM1.JPG
Views: 1729
Size:  23.0 KB
    This is the punch (forming tool). It makes the hole and flages it in one step.

Name:  Flanged Hole in SM2.JPG
Views: 1899
Size:  37.1 KB
    Applying the tool to the metal.

Name:  Flanged Hole in SM3.JPG
Views: 2558
Size:  67.4 KB
    The resulting feature.
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 02-27-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Mr. Pitts, excellent! So I take it I need to build virtual tool to perform this task? I will have my friend take a look at this...thanks.

Yes, there are some rules and methods to making the tools but once you do it a couple of times it will become easy. It's all in the help documents. Good luck.........