Thread: Training toward PPL but move to Sport Pilot now

Question Training toward PPL but move to Sport Pilot now

About 5 years ago I bought my 71' Piper Cherokee 140/160 and started getting my lessons out of it with a CFI friend. I just about got everything done, only lacked my 3 night landings, XC and check ride but life happened and I got married and started having kids. (I sold the plane about 3 years ago because I couldn't justify it just setting in the hanger anymore and my focus was not on flying). Now, things are starting to slow back down for me and I would like to get back in the air.

License-wise I really don't have a need for a PPL anymore. My wife gets sick just by riding in the back seat of a car so you can only imagine how much she loves flying. haha Also, with the family I have now, I'd really need a 6 place for us to use for any XC trips. I can safely say that the odds of any family XC trips by plane will be not likely - wife bought a minivan . So, I want a low and slow plane that I would truly enjoy. I don't see me ever needing more that 2 seats anymore, I'm fine with VFR and I shouldn't be out past dark anyways (that's how you miss supper).

The plane I'm looking at getting now is a Chinook Plus 2, which really checks most every box for me, plus there is one here local to me that I could snag.

So my questions are:

Does the Written Exam for PPL count for or can be used in place of the Sport Pilot Written or will I need to specifically take the Sport Pilot Written Exam? PPL 60 questions, Sport Pilot looks like it's only 40.

I understand that all my previous dual hours will count toward the Sport Pilot since it was done by a PP CFI. So, technically all I need is a short XC and the check ride and I would be done? (I have well over the 20 hours required for Sport Pilot) *now I know I haven't really flown much in the past 3 years so there would be time refreshing up on everything - not to mention time learning the lighter plane and the move to tail wheel.

So, am I missing something or is the path for me to get Sport Pilot about done?

I think you'd have to take the SP written, but I believe the written is only good for a year, so you would have to take it over again anyway. All of your hours count.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I think you'd have to take the SP written, but I believe the written is only good for a year, so you would have to take it over again anyway. All of your hours count.
    Agree. Except written was good for 2 years. No difference as far as you are concerned. Is the Chinook Plus 2 flyable? If so get the owner to take you for several flights then look for a CFI that is qualified to fly/teach in it. Have the owner check out the CFI and if all is a go and you are sure that is the plane for you buy it. The CFI should sign you off for solo with a minimum of time. Have fun and fly the pants off the plane. When you are ready go sport pilot or better yet get three hours in a C-150 and complete the private check ride and written.

You might look for C-150s for sale. They may well be a better investment and it will suit your needs as well. There are a couple of them for sale in my area for $10,000 that would do you well. Also consider older Cubs and T Crafts, etc. That may need a little TLC.

Enjoy.

Dana is a good guy. You can trust him. I am a CFI also and if I can assist let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Agree. Except written was good for 2 years. No difference as far as you are concerned. Is the Chinook Plus 2 flyable? If so get the owner to take you for several flights then look for a CFI that is qualified to fly/teach in it. Have the owner check out the CFI and if all is a go and you are sure that is the plane for you buy it. The CFI should sign you off for solo with a minimum of time. Have fun and fly the pants off the plane.
    Good deal.

Since the (current) plane is local and of course AM is local to Texas as well, I may see about getting them to inspect for me prior to purchase. I have not discussed this with John C. yet to verify if he, or someone he knows or works for them would or not but I'll cross that bridge when we get there. I will also try to do a lot of my last little bit of instruction with them if I go the Chinook direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    When you are ready go sport pilot or better yet get three hours in a C-150 and complete the private check ride and written.

You might look for C-150s for sale. They may well be a better investment and it will suit your needs as well. There are a couple of them for sale in my area for $10,000 that would do you well. Also consider older Cubs and T Crafts, etc. That may need a little TLC.
    You know, I have really thought about this topic just because I am so close to the PPL. I'm 35 and really don't have any health issues to worry about, so the whole medical doesn't bother me. However, I've been weighing my options for some time now and I just feel like an experimental would be best for me now days.

If you get your PPL you can still fly S/P. I know from experience that letting your medical expire and getting it back 30 yrs later is a hassle if you have any health issues ! But jumping through all the hoops it can be done.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by tx_pilot View Post
    Good deal.

Since the (current) plane is local and of course AM is local to Texas as well, I may see about getting them to inspect for me prior to purchase. I have not discussed this with John C. yet to verify if he, or someone he knows or works for them would or not but I'll cross that bridge when we get there. I will also try to do a lot of my last little bit of instruction with them if I go the Chinook direction.

You know, I have really thought about this topic just because I am so close to the PPL. I'm 35 and really don't have any health issues to worry about, so the whole medical doesn't bother me. However, I've been weighing my options for some time now and I just feel like an experimental would be best for me now days.
    You will not regret going for the PPL. That decision does not need to be made till you go for the written though.

If you get the third class medical to solo a non LSA that will hold a basic med option for 10 years. You are on the verge of the EKG requirement that affects the cost issue for third class.
    Last edited by jedi; 10-26-2018 at 06:05 AM.