I'm also color blind to some extent, what is called "red-green" color blindness--that sounds like what you have. Like you, I have some difficulty with the colors on VFR charts, but no problem with stop lights. Sometimes I can pass the color test; sometimes I can't. The first time I failed it was back in 1972, so I took a "color threshold" test and passed. Another possibility is a light gun test. Then you end up with a "statement of demonstrated ability" or SODA, which pretty much eliminates the need to try to pass it again. I still carry my SODA, although it's pretty beat up, but most of the time I just take the color test and pass enough of it.

Bottom line is that for civilian flying, being color blind is not an impediment, just an annoyance.

Have fun--that's the single most important thing about learning to fly. If you're enjoying it, you'll learn faster and better. You're paying for it, so you don't need an instructor who belittles, who yells, or who mistreats you in any way. There are still some who do that, although mostly they're an anachronism. You want someone who knows the subject, can teach it, and who can adjust to your way of learning. Whether an instructor has been doing it for a long time or a short time isn't nearly as important as someone who really wants to teach.

But you have to do your part, too. When I was instructing, every so often I'd have a student who didn't prepare between lessons. So do your homework. When your instructor tells you to review this or that before the next lesson, do it. The students I had who did their homework progressed much better than those who didn't.

It's a good idea to get the written (knowledge) test out of the way well before you're ready for your checkride (practical). But at the same time, you'll understand the theory a lot easier if you're also flying so that you can apply it.

Try to schedule at least 2 lessons per week. The longer time between lessons, the more you'll forget. But it's also not a good idea to cram too many lessons in each week.

There are several hawkers of written study materials. I'm fond of Kings--they're hoky but really excellent. There are also texts that are worth obtaining. I like the Kershner books. Bob Gardner's books are excellent. And don't forget that the FAA publishes manuals, which are all free and available online: the Airplane Flying Handbook and the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, along with the Aeronautical Information Manual, are all essential. They are a bit dry--not what most people would call "page turners", but they're full of necessary information.

Good luck!

Cary