Thread: Updates on Economic recovery and Aviation

Updates on Economic recovery and Aviation

My topic on recovery of the economy and what effect if any on aviation has drawn some responses but not quite on the line I was looking for. There are several answers comparing todays private flying to that of decades ago, but not surprisingly we arent in the golden age of private flying.
    I may not have written as clearly as I should, I was asking if folks were seeing a recovery in gen aviation now, compared to the recession.
    So here are some statistics"
    About a decade ago our gen business climate "lost an engine" in fact you might say it lost 3 out of 4. The Dow stock average was 13, 240 starting 2008 and dropped 34% to 8773 the next year or so, with some stocks much harder hit. "Main engines" home housing, mortgage lending, banking, and some industries like autos were bankrupt, thus like trying to fly on one. This topic is not about what/who caused this nor who/what helped correct it, thats a long one.
    Anyway, with skill or luck or maybe just the help of time we have come back a long ways. Unemployment hit 9,8% in 2009 and is 4.7% now, the Dow is at an all time record over 20,000.Job growth has been slow but steady, about 7 years of new private jobs. CBS poll today" 60% say economy is better.
    So is this reflected in increases in gen aviation? Not just airline travel which is doing well. On SW for my recent trip every seat was taken both ways, traveling at peak times.
    I think most gen aviation is at least to some extent a flexible spending decision, discretionary spending, much like buying a Harley. I think private gen aviation varies with the stock market and disposable income or at least the idea of having some extra income to spend over the necessities.
    I am seeing quite a bit of corp jet activity at several airports I visit. It wouldnt surprise me if the light end of gen av picks up also in the next few months. On the other hand one airport I visit has 2 glider operators and I havent seem much flying from them, but that may be as much do to weather as anything economic. Ive never seen a heater in a glider?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-23-2017 at 09:30 PM.