Thread: Pilot's Creed...Found at Good-Will

Pilot's Creed...Found at Good-Will

Some years ago my wife found this at our local Good-Will store and picked it up for me. It now hangs on my wall.

Name:  SAM_6096.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  93.6 KB

Very cool, wonder who wrote it...
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    Very cool, wonder who wrote it...
    I'm guessing it came from the "Air Adventures of Jimmy Allen" radio show from the 1930s. The book, "Radio Crime Fighters: More Than 300 Programs from the Golden Age" says one of the premiums the show's fans could get was "a pilot's creed". The above text sounds like it's from the 1930s; you don't see "tradewinds" in an aviation context very often.

I see Sporty's sells "A Pilot's Creed" sign.

Ron Wanttaja

Thank you for sharing. It's very cute. Especially, "I KNOW that the upper trade winds, as they blow, may slow my progress through the sky while they enhance the ground speed of another on the opposite heading, but that I may benefit on the return flight."

On a triangular series of legs I swear there's a headwind on all three courses

The creed is spot on in saying that the headwinds slow you down now but MIGHT (may) help you on the way back. Classic pilot mindset. Reality tempered by hope.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Thank you for sharing. It's very cute. Especially, "I KNOW that the upper trade winds, as they blow, may slow my progress through the sky while they enhance the ground speed of another on the opposite heading, but that I may benefit on the return flight."

On a triangular series of legs I swear there's a headwind on all three courses
    Well...there's a lot of truth in that. In reality, any wind is bad on a round trip. Yes, it might help you on the way back, but you'll never make up the time you lost on the into-the-wind leg.

Ron Wanttaja