Thread: Extruding a Face Without Sketching it Out First

Extruding a Face Without Sketching it Out First

When I start out with a sketch, I can easily extrude it. But after its extruded, I can't just click on one of the new faces and extrude that unless I sketch that face first. If it happens to be a simple rectangle its not so bad, but if it has alot of edges on it, it becomes time consuming. Coming from 123D it seems like there must be a quicker way of doing this. In that program I can click on any face and extrude it. Am I missing something?

I'm a dinosaur user but I don't think you're missing anything. AFAIK you need a sketch in order to extrude. There may be a way to automate the steps into a single command but I have never felt the need to do anything special for these situations.

EDIT: Just took a look. You can extrude a face by using Insert|Face|Move which allows you to drag the face or enter a value for the move. You can extrude normal to the face or at any angle,,, lots of options. I have never used this command but maybe I will now that I have played with it a little bit.
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 02-05-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks, I appreciate that! I found that I can also access the move option by right clicking.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Try PRE-SELECTING the face you want to extrude, and then continue as you would normally: While leaving the face selected, pick EXTRUDED BOSS/BASE, and then press CONVERT ENTITIES. Note, the sketch now will contain only the external contour, no holes or other internal contours that you may want to "convert".