As some of you probably will have realized by my posts here, I've been a devout volunteer in the Vintage Flight Line which provides the personnel safety, crowd control, and aircraft movements for everything south of the Communications Building at Oshkosh including most of the Vintage aircraft parking as well as the access to the Ultralight area and Emergency Aircraft Repair and, of late, GA overflow parking.

We were shocked when Geoff Robison called four of our volunteers late last week. Mike Kosta and Cathy McGurran, our main chairmen were summarily removed from their posts. Randy Hytry, another chairman, was told that he was not permitted to volunteer anymore at all. A fourth non-chairman worker bee was told he was not to volunteer anymore either. Geoff gave no explanation other than a vague reference to friction with Flight Line Safety (the people who manage the taxiways north of the Comm building) and that this was a board decision and any further inquiries would have to be made to EAA Human Resources.

Oddly, the first thing I did was to contact some of the other board members who appeared as surprised as I was. I also contacted some of the chairs of Flight Line Safety and they were dumbfounded as well. Further, when four contacted EAA HR, they were told it's a Vintage board thing and were referred back to them.

I can tell you that Mike and Kathy are excellent leaders. Not only have they honed the operation into a safe and efficient machine but they demonstrate to the volunteers on the Vintage Flight Line that they are valued by their action. I can't tell you the number of times I've sat down with them to make suggestions to them or to ask questions. When the fertilizer hits the ventilator on the flight line, it's a short radio call to "Denver" (Mike) or "Colorado Cutie" (Kathy) to get assistance to resolve whatever the issue is.

Nobody has been able to explain or even guess at a reason why the Vintage Flight Line was "decapitated" in this manner or how we are going to proceed.

If you are a vintage member (or even not), I encourage you to contact the board (their information is in the back of the Vintage Airplane magazine). In the interest of not setting them up for a lot of spam, I won't post their information on this publicly readable forum.