Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Santa Monica Airport Closure

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    How do we know that odor was asbestos? The MSDS says asbestos is odorless....
    I worked in a Brake and clutch shop for a few years. Asbestos does smell when you burn it or heat it. We would burn it all the time. Asbestos sitting on a shelf, that is correct it does not smell. Heat it and it gives off an odor.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-30-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    So I understand that you are not in favor of identifying a problem and then working to find solutions. Just kill aviation because it is more convenient to do so.

Where I am (HEF) there are airport procedures that most pilots seem to follow. The local government has also done the sound studies that show the local highways that border the airport (at downwind and base for the prevailing wind runways) produce more noise, consistently, at all hours, than the far less frequent airplane. Of course perceptions may be different than objective truth. People have a tendency to "tune out" some noises and complain about others. (Note that although people may tune out the road noise, it is doing far more damage than the occasional airplane.)

Pilots do as they are trained to do, at least initially. If the local FBO/flight school will teach a Vx climb to pattern altitude and then cruise climb, or power reduction -- when that is in keeping with recommended procedures for that airplane -- then that is what pilots will do. Descending to pattern altitude five miles out and at low pitch (for constant speed prop aircraft) seems like another training deficiency. (It also seems like a bit of an exaggeration, but I could be wrong.) Again, energize the FBOs, or on field schools, or heaven forbid -- the local EAA chapter - to get the word out. When someone sees a pilot flying in a manner unfriendly to the community, have a chat with them.

But I guess just saying the airport makes too much noise and we should close it is the easier solution.
    Not sure how you came to the understanding/conclusion that I am not in favor of identifying a problem and then working to find a solution.

The problem is apparent. The solution, not so much.

Are you married? Ever try and offer some driving solutions to the wife so as to make the car last longer, reduce fuel mileage and reduce brake wear? How did that work out for you? Same with pilots. They seem to be resistant to the acceptance of suggestions as to how to make life better for those around them. Same with the airport manager. They both apparently know all to well how to do their job and don't want "no stinkin' advice" as to how to do their job.

I have tried. All for naught. None are so deaf as those that refuse to hear. So, IMO if the pilot community does not want to become a better neighbor then the rest of the neighbors might just ask (force) them to leave the neighborhood. It has happened before Santa Monica. It is happening at Santa Monica. It will continue to happen after Santa Monica. When pilots cannot tolerate the actions of other pilots it is a big problem for the pilot community.

We had a fly-in one day a few years ago. There was a group who came and stayed in their campers. The next morning I am hearing complaints about the noise from an airplane. I said..Imagine you are at an air park and you hear an airplane.

Tony