Thread: Anyone know of any kits for a one-seater electric multirotor with some autonomy?

Anyone know of any kits for a one-seater electric multirotor with some autonomy?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to EAA so apologies in advance for any newbie mistakes.

About me: I have worked in the drone space for some time and developed a deep appreciation for trained pilots. I've traveled with pilot friends in both helicopters and planes too - I'm getting interested in getting a license but I haven't embarked on that path quite yet.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone here has seen any kit builds for a large multi-rotor aircraft for one pilot? Also curious if any of these incorporate some level of autopilot/autonomy so they are easier to pilot than a "traditional" single rotor helicopter.

I know of a lot of the companies trying to build one of these (volocopter, ehang, etc) and other more "traditional" helis and autogyros (mosquito) but I am curious if there are any kits out there.

Let me know! By the way, if there is anyone else interested in this idea, let's chat!

Hi zoinks!

It is an interesting concept fraught with issues...

No one, to my knowledge, is working in this area or if they are it is an individual effort.

Not to discourage, but there is a longer list of issues with these than solutions. And I have wonder why experienced firms with engineering staffs have not been able bring one to fruit by now?

It's not electric but fulfills the rest of your goals.. .:-)
    http://www.colinfurze.com/hoverbike.html

I was thinking the same thing and/or does anyone want to start an open source project where trials and successes are shared?

I think there are a number of one- and two-seat, electric multirotor aircraft under development. I saw a couple at Oshkosh two years ago, in fact, and have seen videos of a German-built umpteen-motor monster. All are being pursued as commercial ventures, I think. If and when the concept works out to be ready for actual use, the commercial aspect will be absolutely huge. Even IF they're never considered suitable for passengers (which they probably will be, eventually), their use for delivery alone would be a big, big market.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I've seen a few videos of folks making such aircraft, and since they fall under ultralight rules they are nearly invisible.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

BlackFly Ultralight Attracts Attention in AirVenture's Innovation Showcase 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=671Vf3PFlWU

Personally I thank the gods they can't operate in a major city. The pigeons and geese provide enough 'stuff' falling out of the skies - lol - I tremble thinking about those multi-rotor vegetable slicers in the hands of the 'average' inner-city driver. Oh the humanity!
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln