Thread: Website issues...need help

Exclamation Website issues...need help

Hi all.
    As many chapters (I'm sure) have moved over to the EAA hosted chapter websites for the cost of free, we decided to let our chapter paid domain expire to save money. We made the switch mid-year 2016. All was fine until our paid domain expired on Jan. 14th. Now we have a disconnect with the 538.eaachapter.org website and it looks horrible. Everything looks to reference/link back to the expired domain and not to the provided EAA hosting. Our webmaster investigated and this is his response:

"I have checked on this and apparently the domain names (eaa538.org and 538.eaachapter.org) are both owned by Powweb.com. There is an apparent annual maintenance fee of $150 per year. I thought that these were provided by the national organization. I am not inclined to pay for them at this time unless the chapter has always paid for this. I do not know who to talk to at the National Organization regarding this."

So what's the deal? Are we being given free website hosting with EAA HQ's or is there some fee as mentioned above required to have our website hosted? Who do we contact to help get this resolved?

Thanks,
    Carlos Hernandez
    EAA 538 President
    Phoenix, AZ

Hello Carlos!

I believe our chapters office has seen some of these issues arise recently and are working to solve them. I will pass along your feedback and get someone to reach out to you!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pazmanyflyer View Post
    Now we have a disconnect with the 538.eaachapter.org website and it looks horrible. Everything looks to reference/link back to the expired domain and not to the provided EAA hosting
    Looking at the source code (press CTRL U to see it) on your 538.eaachapter page, I see the line
    <link id="fw_template_file" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.eaa538.org/.design.css?r=819" media="screen">

I'm no HTML expert, but it looks like you were using a .css template that was back on your old site. That's no longer accessible anymore, so the page is defaulting back to text
    with some basic formatting. You would have needed to create your pages with references to only resources on your Webs area.

"I have checked on this and apparently the domain names (eaa538.org and 538.eaachapter.org) are both owned by Powweb.com. There is an apparent annual maintenance fee of $150 per year. I thought that these were provided by the national organization.
    So what's the deal? Are we being given free website hosting with EAA HQ's or is there some fee as mentioned above required to have our website hosted?...
    Domain name registration and web hosting are two different services. 538.eaachapter.org, and anything at the xxx.eaachapter.org are registered and owned by EAA. EAA provides the lower level domains to chapters for free. That name registration appears to be fine.
    When you gave up your eaa538.org name, you were essentially throwing it into the trash can for anyone to grab. They're now trying to sell it back to you at a ridiculous rate. Your expired name also remove the pointers to your files.

If you still have an active account where the eaa538.org web site was hosted, you should still have access to the files through the server control panel. You won't be able to access it using the domain name. You would need to know the IP address it used to be on. I think it was 75.98.17.37 on Webs.com.

Here's your DNS history I found. It looks like your name server, and likely your hosting service used to be run on powweb.com. It looks like last May you changed your name servers for eaa538.org to be handled by Webs.com. Now eaa538.org is sitting on renewyourname.net.

2004 Feb 1
    Changes on that date
    Domain created or Nameservers Added
    Added ns3.powweb.com
    Added ns2.powweb.com
    Active Name Servers on that date
    ns3.powweb.com
    ns2.powweb.com

2016 May 12
    Changes on that date
    Removed ns3.powweb.com
    Removed ns2.powweb.com
    Added ns2.webs.com
    Added ns1.webs.com
    ns2.webs.com
    ns1.webs.com

2017 Jan 16
    Changes on that date
    Removed ns2.webs.com
    Removed ns1.webs.com
    Domain dropped or Nameservers Removed
    NONE

Jan 19
    Changes on that date
    Domain created or Nameservers Added
    Added ns2.renewyourname.net
    Added ns1.renewyourname.net
    ns2.renewyourname.net
    ns1.renewyourname.net
    Last edited by PaulDow; 01-27-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Thank you Glory Aulik and PaulDow for your assistance. I must admit my ignorance glows when it comes to website code. I sent you info to our webguy for reference. I hope that we can receive help from EAA soon.

Regards,
    Carlos