Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Fokker D VII

7/17/2017, Just a little bit of somethin this weekend. We have a cockpit floor and an instrument panel.
    Name:  Fok cockpit floor.jpg
Views: 1710
Size:  91.3 KB
    Name:  Fok instrument panel.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  89.5 KB

This is one of the parts to my build I really enjoyed!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

A little cooler after the rain. Finished the stiffeners on the back of the panel and got it sealed. Also welded up the two Fokker clamps for the top panel mounts. Pics tonight. Oh, also ordered 3 drawings from NASM (National Air and Space Museum) of the Spandaus, so Albatros DVa, Fokker D VII and Dr I drawings as well.
    Name:  Fok control panel stiffeners.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  Fok control panel Fokker clamps.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  95.0 KB

Peace
    Jim

Okay, next super dumb question:

How do you get your Fokker clamps around a tube that's already been welded on both ends to the fuselage?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank, you cut across the smaller tube with a band saw or cutting wheel on an angle grinder (best option) Then you just prey open the large tube with the now two halves of the smaller tube and slip it over the larger tube. Then just close it up and slip a bolt through the smaller tube halves.

Jim

Ah. I didn't see a seam because they haven't had one cut yet. Duh.

I have been working on the seat frame the last few days. I made a fixture first and then walla. Will just need to shine it up before paint and final assembly. Anyone need a seat frame fixture for a 1918 Fokker D VII?
    Peace
    Jim
    Name:  Fok seat frame finished.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  94.5 KB

Very cool.

Looking forward to seeing the artwork of a seat you're going to come up with!

Since I know Dick about steel, how does one "shine it up," and what paint are you going to use? I've heard that epoxy or powder coating isn't such a grand idea as it can hide cracks that might form.

Frank,

Shine it up means paint prep. Wire wheels the welds and such, wipe down all tubing with acetone to remove all traces of anti-rust inhibitor. I will be using an etching primer with an oil top coat, mixed in Fokker green of coarse.

Jim

I was alerted to a plans flaw after I made the seat frame. Seams there was going to be a conflict with a pair of crossing fuselage bracing wires so the upper cross tube had to be moved forward of the fuselage down tube. This also required new Fokker clamps with the now long ferules.
    Name:  Fok seat modification.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  91.5 KB