Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Fokker D VII

4/30, Work this week. I was getting antsy just finishing up all the partial cluster and wire loop welds so I did a little fabricating as well. Here you see the lower wing attachment gusset boxes. Later after the wing gets made and the attaching brackets are positioned these boxes get marked, drilled, and a sleave welded in so the bolt can pass through for the wing. I also welded in the 3 13mm cowling and turtle deck hoops.

Name:  Fok lower wing gussets.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  Fok cowling and turttle deck hoops.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  94.3 KB

I started messing with the bungee box assemblies that weld on to the sides of the axle boxes but this was at the end of a 14 hour day. You know you have had enough when you cant see your weld puddle anymore. Time to stop before you break something, blow a big hole, or get frustrated.
    Name:  Fok fuselage leveling fixture.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  92.6 KB

While waiting for a fellow builder to show up so we could bend him some wire loops for his DR I build I made a simple fixture to prop the tail post level so I could start jigging up the engine bearer tubes. As you can see we are all level.
    Name:  Fok fuselage leveling mase easy.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  94.2 KB
    Name:  Fok fuselage level ready to fixture the engine bearers.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  89.5 KB

I hope everyone building got some time in this weekend.

Gentle breezes and fair skys

Jim

Would it be possible to get a well focused close-up photo of the highlighted area?

Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  88.2 KB

William,

I do have a few pot holes in that area. Going back over that next ti me I fire up the torch.

Thanks
    Jim

5/4/17, So I had to make the engine bearer brackets before I weld up the engine bearer tubes. I made 8 but probably only need 5 or 6. I also mocked up a fixture for welding up all the support tubes tubing for the engine compartment. Next week the fun begins.
    Tomorrow I help set up for the Manassas airshow then get a new client midday, and Saturday I am working at the airshow.
    Name:  Fok engine bearer mounts.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  90.9 KB
    Name:  Fok engine bearer fixture.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  88.3 KB
    Name:  Fok engine bearer fixture 2.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  83.6 KB

That motor looks like a 235 Chevy 6?

Mallory, 1969 Ford 300 inline 6. I will put an Offenhauser intake and 4 barrel Holley on it with a Marcotte 1-1.97 PSRU. Hoping to run a 100+" prop
    Last edited by Fokker Builder; 05-08-2017 at 06:48 PM.

5/13, Been slow on the headway with the engine bearers. Boy these tubing clusters get crowded and coping the ends of the tubing gets quite involved. I have to run out to Spahr Metric in Winchester on Monday to pick up a length of 25 mm X 1.5 mm (speced as 25 X 1.25 but I am going with what is in stock). I also need one more 20 mm X 1 mm tube then I think I am covered.
    Name:  Fok engine bearers.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  92.5 KB

Been busy with a new client this past week and may be looking at a pretty tough month starting this week. Always a blessing and a lot of work. I am shooting for completing the engine compartment by end of the week. We will see.

Jim

Engine bearers almost done
    Name:  Fok engine bearers almost done.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  96.6 KB

5/21/17, This weeks work. A friend came by today with his conduit bender to see if we could put a tight radius on some 18 mm X 1 mm tubing. I capped the end with a welded plate and filled it with sand. Nope, wasn't happening as it kicked up on me. I also doubt I could bend the radius I need with just heat. The deal would be a mandrel bender. I am going to think about bending some of the 10 mm X 2 mm and maybe double them in the engine compartment and do singles in the four corners of the cockpit.
    Name:  Fok hardware mounts and cross braces.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  95.3 KB
    Name:  FOK cross braces and hardware mounts.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  91.0 KB

I was running low on oxy in the gas rig this week so I was piddling with some cross braces and hardware mounts. I will get some more oxy and filler rod tomorrow.

Tata

Jim

5/28/17, This weeks work. Wow, I guess it is a fair amount of interesting additions. First pic is of the throttle mounted by way of two Fokker clamps. This is the simple Fokker throttle with no mixture adjusting lever. Also you can see a Fokker clamp with a 7" piece of 13mm tubing welded to it. That is one of two lower control panel mounts.
    Name:  Fok throttle mounted.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  94.3 KB

Second up is the engine compartment curved gussets located at the lower cross member. The plans called for 18mm X 1.25mm tubing but I had no decent way of bending this tubing in the radius I needed with out severely crimping the tubing. See the post last week. I decided to use some of the 10mm X 2mm since it was going to be easier to bend that by hand. I thought sence the 10X would have close to the same mass as the 18mm I could live with that.
    Name:  Fok engine compartment gussets.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  96.2 KB

3rd pic is of one of the four cock pit gussets I heavily tacked in this week, again using the 10 X 2. This radius was tighter so I used the vice and a short piece of 3/4" pipe as an extension to bend these pieces.
    Name:  Fok cockpit gussets.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  89.4 KB

4th pic is the front gun mounts I fabricated and again are but half welded in. I have to cut some 10mm X 1mm or 13mm X 1mm diagonal braces and then I will finish weld these in.
    Name:  Fok front MG mounts.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  94.1 KB

Fifth pic is of the beginning of the adjustable rear MG mounts. These consist of the gun saddle welded to some 25mm X 1.5mm tubing that adjusts inside a 28mm X 1mm double bolted Fokker clamp that is welded to a 60mm long double bolted Fokker clamp mounted on the front cock pit cross member.
    Name:  Fok rear adjustible MG mounts.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  93.8 KB

I had slated yesterday and then today to flip the fuselage over and weld the undersides of the engine compartment but during my shop time I was battling showers and drizzle and I must move the fuse outside for this. I felt like I was quite productive this week beside being swamped at work.
    Peace and thank all the Vets this week
    Jim

Last edited by Fokker Builder; 06-02-2017 at 04:46 AM.