Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Fokker D VII

Kind of a dumb question, but what are you going to paint the fuselage and other metal bits with to prevent rust?

Epoxy paint? Krylon? Oil of some kind? I'm not being cheeky, I'm really curious.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank,

To be honest I have not addressed that yet except for I will start with an etching primer since I am working in steel. The few small parts I painted last year I used a rattle can of etching primer from HD just to protect from rust. I am attempting to complete welding on the fuselage this Spring. I was hoping to have that completed by end of April but I just found out I am getting a residential client tomorrow so my fuse completion is pushed back to June.

Short answer etching coat primer, then a top coat of ??? probably oil in Fokker green and gray

Thanks
    Jim

Follow on dumb question...did you run linseed oil inside the tubing, coat it with something else, or just leave it?

A lot of guys seem to be building 100 year aircraft, intended to be passed down to others. Mine is "one and done," meaning that when I'm done with it either it becomes a display somewhere or scrap. This had some bearing on some of the decisions I made when building it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank,

Good question. There is already a protectant inside and out. I have to clean the outside with acetone. Not sure what will happen with the plane when I am done. If a family member wants to fly then of course, otherwise it will get donated I guess.

Jim

4/8/17, Lots going on this week.
    I forgot to take a decent pic of the dust cover for the lower wing cavity. You can see some of it in the fourth pic. In fact the first 5 pics are of work for the torque tube, cross bar, rudder bar base (with the Y), bearings, collar, and added most of the weldments to the yoke and control column proper. The torque tube gets held in place by a 10 mm collar, that will get a brass rivet I just made, and that flare at the end of the tq tube. The rudder base just has few welds and is the next welding project, (ran out of argon).
    Name:  Fok control column yoke.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  90.5 KB
    Name:  Fok control linkage cross tube.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  89.5 KB
    Name:  Fok control torque tube with flare.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  Fok control linkage Y stabilizer.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  94.9 KB
    Name:  Fok rudder bar base.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  93.3 KB

The last three pics are of stuff that got fabricated over the last couple days.
    First bucket holds about 50 1/4 round wire loops made out of 8mm X 2mm tubes that were bent around a 2" piece of aluminum that was heated with a torch and turned using the lathe.
    Name:  Fok wire loops.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  91.1 KB

Second to last bucket holds the 50 or so Fokker clamp ferules that get welded to the clamp tubes that are in the last bucket.
    Name:  Fok Fokker clamp ferules.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  90.5 KB
    Name:  Fok Fokker clamp tubing.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  89.0 KB

Tomorrow I will be notching some 16mm X 1mm tubing that will raise the rear cross tube that supports the rear of the torque tube and make some more brass rivets.
    Long post and lots of pics tonight. Happy Sopwith hunting.
    Jim

You are going to have one helluva emotional event when all these fiddly bits of stuff come together and you step back to realize they've come together to make an airplane.

Thank you Frank

Was making some brass rivets today and. Leveled the fuselage to check tail plane incidence. Looks like about 3 degrees and you can see the slope in the top longeron starting behind the cockpit.
    Name:  Fok fuselage and tail plane incidence.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  90.9 KB

Jim

Neat! And that tail came together really well.

Do the longerons telescope, or was it one long piece?

What I found in my build is that is went in fits and starts. I'd do a bunch of "fiddly work" that didn't really have anything to show for it, followed by some assembly that made it look like things were really progressing, only to have to once again focus on "fiddly work."

Oh, and your shop is too clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Neat! And that tail came together really well.

Do the longerons telescope, or was it one long piece?

What I found in my build is that is went in fits and starts. I'd do a bunch of "fiddly work" that didn't really have anything to show for it, followed by some assembly that made it look like things were really progressing, only to have to once again focus on "fiddly work."

Oh, and your shop is too clean.
    Frank,
    First thank you for the compliment

They telescope starting at the front with 22mm X 1mm, then 20mm, and finally an 18mm by the tail. The verticle and cross tubes go from 22mm, 20, 18, and 15mm.

Yes the detail oriented (like the control column and yoke), or fiddy work as you say, can be much more time intensive.
    The tidiness of my shop is out of necessity. It is only 13 X 30 and with all the tools, work benches, storage, and such it would be a nightmare if I let it get out of hand. I am also ADD so if I don't put my toys away I begin to think they were stolen when I can't find something. That is how I wind up with two of some things.

Jim
    Last edited by Fokker Builder; 04-10-2017 at 04:43 AM.