Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Fokker D VII

So we have something a little substantial to look at for the D VII today. I got one side of the rudder tacked up.
    Name:  Fok rudder tacked up.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  92.7 KB
    First I had to prepare the spar. The bottom gets flared as you can, and that bottom hinge as a result only gets one retaining collar. I just used a ball pean hammer and a dolley in the vise to flare the end of that tube. Work slow and in stages so you don't mangle the tubing.
    Name:  Fok spar flared spar bottom.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  96.8 KB
    Then I had to load all the hardware onto the spar; four hinges, 3 collars, and a control horn. Then the top of the spar gets squished down to the thickness of the outer edge tubing.
    Name:  Fok spar squished.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  87.0 KB
    I included a picture of the bending fixture I set up on the press.
    Name:  Fok rudder welding jig.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  97.0 KB
    I shot a general pic of the welding jig
    Name:  Fok spar squishing fixture.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  91.6 KB
    I created on the work table using cleats and shims to hold everything in place while I tacked it all up. I now have to flip it over and tack the riblets on the other side, final weld, clean it up, and get some primer on. Enjoy

4/15/18, Here we go. First up is the rudder I have been working on this week, it's now primed.
    Name:  Fok rudder primed.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  95.0 KB
    Second I rough cut some leather patterns for the seat.
    Name:  Fok seat leather.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  90.8 KBI also cut 40' of 5 mm lacing from the hide. I also cut 104" of 8" wide leather for the cockpit coaming.
    Name:  Fok leather lacing.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  97.5 KB
    Then I took some scrap and drill holes in the aluminum 30 mm apart and laid out some leather to fold over for the seat edge.
    Name:  Fok seat practice.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  96.7 KB
    Here is how the lacing pattern looks.
    Name:  Fok seat practice lacing.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  96.7 KB

4/22/18, Fokker D VII progress. I promised pics of what I managed on the plane this week. Here is a pic of some epoxy starved lamination in ash. Without micro balloons to thicken the epoxy to a slurry this is what happens. I clamped this pretty hard and fully expected some starved areas. So I did consider this an experiment and a test run. I have ordered some DAP Weldwood epoxy resin glue. This is the same glue Culver uses for gluing wooden propeller laminations.
    Name:  Fok tail skid 1st.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  93.2 KB
    Name:  Fok tail skid epoxy starved.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  94.5 KB
    I also started making the brackets that are bolted to the tail skid and will weld some of those up tomorrow. Since I already have some planed ash I will steam some more for the next lamination as well.
    The last pic is the Sonex tail wheel Iwill be using and have to design a bracket that will harmoniously attach this purely non-Fokker adaptation. Oh by the way I went to Hearne Hardwoods and got 4 9' X 1.5" X 9" wide black walnut, beautiful wood. This will get layed with some hard maple I already have for my propeller. This is another reason to do minor laminations first so that I can flesh out the gluing and clamping issues first.
    Name:  Fok tail wheel need a bracket.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  95.4 KB
    Blue skies
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Fokker Builder View Post
    4/22/18, Fokker D VII progress. I promised pics of what I managed on the plane this week. Here is a pic of some epoxy starved lamination in ash. Without micro balloons to thicken the epoxy to a slurry this is what happens. I clamped this pretty hard and fully expected some starved areas. So I did consider this an experiment and a test run. I have ordered some DAP Weldwood epoxy resin glue. This is the same glue Culver uses for gluing wooden propeller laminations.

Blue skies
    Jim
    You could use cabosil rather than microballoons to thicken epoxy. That should be structurally better.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 04-22-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks Kyle, I ordered some Weldwood and will give that a shot. I have a gallon of epoxy to use up so maybe research the cabosil as well.

Jim

4/27/18, Here are 5 pics from this week. First up is the spoked wheel hubs I drill and champhered on one side. If you hadn't guessed I had been pretty apprehensive about just gnawing at these time consuming hubs with a drill bit. My rotary table was the bomb. I need to get a 9" drill extension to champher the inside of the flanges. Pretty cool huh. Don't worry, I did muck up one hole as my clamp hit the back of the drill press. So I am going to move the hole and JB Weld the crescent since it is only off by half a hole.
    Name:  Fok hubs drilled.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  93.4 KB
    Next up is the tail skid and the clamps I made for it. One clamp is where the suspension (bungies) anchor and the other one mounts in the base of the tail post. I am going to make a skeg shoe for this tail skid and have the plastic resin glue from AS to use for the next tail skid I will laminate next week.
    Name:  Fok tail skid needs a skeg.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  90.5 KB
    Name:  Fok tail skid suspension bracket.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  95.5 KB
    Name:  Fok tail skid tail post bracket.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  92.6 KB
    Name:  Fok tail skid glue.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  93.6 KB
    I did have a nice visit from Culpeper Newport Tom today. He was picking up the last of the pyramid plate. I have what I need so I gave him what was left.
    Peace
    Jim

So, then, the notion of just wrapping it a bunch in duct tape is out, huh?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Tail skid's done

Yes Frank that only works on Newps

I have to confess that I didn't get much time on plane this week. I did get the second tail skid glued up with the Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue though. I like it by the way and plan to do some more ash lamination before I lay up the propeller. That was earlier in the week and the piece is in the top of the pic.

I did want to finish the first tail skid this week. It did give me fits bending up from flat 2 mm stock that wrapped bracket at the end. The ash is coated in epoxy, even inside the bolt holes which I over drilled by one size. The only thing left to do is swap out the temporary bolts with AN hardware.
    Name:  Fok tail skid finished.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  95.7 KB

Great that you epoxied inside the holes.

It was a lesson I had to learn the hard way on the plywood flooring I used on the Noop. I made sure I followed this procedure on the second one I made.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Thanks Frank,

I just loaded the bolt holes till they were pouring epoxy back into the mixing pot and then run an ear thingie (Q tip, for those that don't speak doohickie) through the hole. Vundebar