Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Fokker D VII

Frank going to buy blank tractor rim. 20X5.5 Then drill for adding 40 spoaks like motorcycle rims.

Name:  blank_rim__71210.1332611041.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  10.2 KB

Frank and Mark,

Check out Coker Tire. They have a https://www.cokertire.com/wheels/rim...-40-spoke.html that I am going to use and the tires to go with rims. I can send the hub and they will spoke and mount or I can order the rims and spokes and do it myself. The tires to come in different colors but I have been told that the grey and white rubber is softer than the black.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Thompson View Post
    Frank going to buy blank tractor rim. 20X5.5 Then drill for adding 40 spoaks like motorcycle rims.

Name:  blank_rim__71210.1332611041.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  10.2 KB
    Man...that looks HEAVY!
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

I have been multi-tasking with the warm weather. Been getting some gluing and spar varnish work done. The cockpit floor is finaled and I mounted the seat in the frame after widening the front 5/8" and started adding foam. This on top of working on the second hub.
    Name:  Fok cockpit floor final.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  94.2 KB
    Name:  Fok seat mounted.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  90.5 KB

2/27/18, still need to drill the 40 spoke holes per hub but need to email the rim and spoke supplier first. I also need to make a jig that will hold both hubs upright on the rotary table so I can drill the hole circles. I have also make a few shackles where the rudder and elevator cables will attach to the control column and rudder bar. Getting closer to start ripping some ash on the band saw and start laying up a tail skid and propeller.
    Name:  Fok hubba bubba.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  94.4 KB

3/4/18, I got a bit done this week. Here are some of the wheel spacers stock (bronze), washers (steel and bronze), and end caps (steel) 5/8". I also got some machinist clamps in and my 13" CuTech planer. Also ordered this week were the 40 spoke, 28 X 3" rims and tires. I need to mock up the rims and hubs to measure for the stainless steel spokes. I also sent off a check for enough printed lozenge linen fabric for the two wings. Woot woot
    Name:  Fok wheel spacers and washers.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  Fok machinist clamps.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  94.3 KB
    Name:  Fok planer.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  88.4 KB
    Name:  Fok painted lozenge.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  82.2 KB

3/11/18, I promised you guys some pics and I got a little time on some elevator hinges too. I have 5 more hinges to make for the tail feathers and then the spars for the ailerons get hinges made for 35 mm spars rather than the 30 mm for the elevator and rudder. Next is a pic of the delivery from Coker Tire this week. Those are 40 spoke 28" X 3" rims and tires with their associated inner tubes and spoke nipple straps. I stuck the 7 1/4" hubs in the wheel pic so you can get a sense of scale. These are big rims.
    Name:  Fok hinges in steel.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  85.6 KB
    Name:  Fok Coker 28 by 3 tires rims tubes and spoke nipple bands.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  87.7 KB
    Name:  Greedy Asian boy.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  18.3 KB

Sweet.

Those are some large wheels, but the full scale Fokker DVII is a monster of an airplane.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

So this and some hinges is what I have managed to wiggle into my busy schedule.

First the seven hinges for the elevator and rudder have been roughed in, clipped, and pressed together. They need to be silver soldered and then have lubrication holes drilled and then the are ready to slip over the 30 mm spars. I also cut strap, clip, and bushing material so I can make 6 aileron hinges that go over those 35 mm spars.

Now for the pics. The rotary table came with a centering piece of thick wall tubing that was also knurled. On the lathe I turned out a recess to match the centering piece so my hub drilling fixture would center up on the table. Then I had to turn out the contours for both sides of the hub into the drilling fixture. The hubs I made have a 1/2" X 3/4" shoulder for attaching a brake disc adapter plate. You can see the recesses in the second pic and then you can see that both ends of the hubs sit flush in the fixture ready for clamping.

Now I need to mock up the rims with the hubs and measure for spokes. Then I contact Buchannon Spoke to get specs on the spoke hole shape.
    Name:  Fok hub rotary centering piece.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  92.4 KB
    Name:  Fok hub drilling fixture.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  Fok hub in fixture disc side ready to drill.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  92.7 KB
    Name:  Fok hub non disc side ready to drill.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  91.4 KB

So here are a couple pics of the hinges. First is a box of what goes on the rudder and ailerons. The second is one of the hinges and two collars that go on the elevator. The hole in the steel bushing is for lubrication since I used steel instead of bronze. The elevator gets three hinges. The two end ones each get two collars that act as keepers and the center hinge is floating. The keepers/collars do get riveted to the spar. All hinges do get an additional spruce fabric stay secured by two aluminum straps each. Those I have already made and do not require being slipped over the hinges at this time.
    Name:  Fok hinges and colars.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  89.8 KB
    Name:  Fok hinge and two colars on the spar.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  60.7 KB