Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Fokker D VII

I thought it had to be flush all the way around...but then it's welding, so you can fill in the "smile" of the end there. Or not. It is steel, after all, and it's not that's going to be taking a lot of stress.

Winter don't skeer me. My mom knitted me a beautiful tricolor scarf to wear while flying! In fact, I like it when it gets (Alabama) cold. The air is a lot smoother. Of course I'm a nut and went flying a couple winters ago when it was 12 degrees! It's all just mittens and bundling up. Of course one can't have any exposed skin, but other than that it's all good.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

You should get mom to crotche a tri-color cat suite with feeties and a flap

Quote Originally Posted by Fokker Builder View Post
    You should get mom to crotche a tri-color cat suite with feeties and a flap
    Fokker Builder, you'll need a flying helmet for your first flight. I'll lend you one of mine...

Ron "Hals und Beinbruch!" Wanttaja

Wantaja

I made this and a two handed sword one week in the old bike shop when I had nothing to do. Will this work? I also have a fibreglass German military style helmet with an 8ball and a bunch of save the bimbos type stickers too.

Name:  My altered ego.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  88.4 KB

Frank,

You are correct, the end of that stab does get closed up. Thanks

Jim

Horizontal stab
    The stab is out of the fixture. Have some more welding to finish this weekend but should be complete by Sunday. Will attempt to weight it as well.
    Name:  Fok stab.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  96.8 KB

I tend to forget just how big a darned DVII is, but that stab sure brought it home.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank, it is hanging on the end of an extension ladder. About 4 ft off the back of the truck. Kinda like when a fisherman hangs a fish he just caught for a picture. It changes the perspective a little.

Jim

11/21/17, So I got a few hours yesterday to work out the design procedure and start some building of control horns today. For those that don't know what that means is that these are the flappy things that make the plane change direction, other than just turning the engine off so it will go down

First pic shows the process. The item depicted in the drawing to the left is what I am trying to make. Three with a 30 mm hole that go on the elevator and the rudder, and two more with 35 mm holes one each for the ailerons. Rather than start with flat sheet metal and having to bend an ovaled tube I started with a piece of aerodynamic tubing. The first one was my test piece and tried two different ways of accomplishing the part. The second end worked to my satisfaction so the next piece shows the layout and the last piece shows the band saw work. After that trailing edge gets crimped and welded together the back of the hole gets a notch cut out, pressed together, welded shut and redrilled with the hole saw to resize.

Name:  Fok control horns 1.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  94.9 KB

The next picture shows the five control horns. The first one on the left is finished and ready to weld on either the spar of the elevator or the rudder. It has the "U" shaped 1 1/2 mm receiver for the control cable ends. The last two waiting control horns are the 35 mm ones for the two ailerons.
    Name:  Fok control horns 2.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  95.2 KB

11/26/17, So here are my five little control horns ready to weld on their associated control surface spars. Aint the purdy? And tadah the horizontal stabilizer.
    Name:  Fok control horns 3.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  96.0 KB
    Name:  Fok hor stab 3.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  94.8 KB