Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Fokker D VII

Frank

Oh yeah, I can get the wood for 2 propellers for $650. Add some epoxy and quality time in the garage, priceless.

I always considered prop carving as next level artistry; the science only goes so far in designing and cutting the right one.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Some of us are just risk takers I suppose. Got propeller blade cross section drawings. I will build one with best guess and go from there. I'm shooting for between 1500 and 2000 rpm only. Originals have like 58* pitch and a 9" cord. That's a lot of blade.
    Last edited by Fokker Builder; 01-13-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Well, hell, this is the wrong forum for finding folks who play it safe right down middle on everything.

Risk adverse people do not build their own airplanes, after all.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank

Hahaha, yep. I was on Fokker Team Shorndorff (sp.) website yesterday. Achim wants $6,000 for an Axial replica prop. Delivered in 6 weeks. 3 at a time I think I could make a side business. . Going to NASM today to visit the D VII and Albatros.
    Name:  Fok props.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  89.5 KB

For what it is worth about building your own prop, a local friend recently had a wooden prop fly apart on a Long Eze. It took out one of the rudders and required shutting the engine down. He didn't quite make the runway. Fortunately no injuries but significant airframe damage.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

I know a man who makes all his own props. When I saw his airplane he told me under that spinner is a square block of wood. He does not carve or only carves his props to the spinner. He also puts little winglets on the end of the blades. Like what are used for wing tips.

This is the airplane I speak of. This man flies this airplane all over the country. I believe it has flown from coast to coast. I should have taken close up pics of his prop.

At six grand a pop, I might carve my own.

It all comes down to how authentic one wants their airplane to look.

I just told Alaina at Culver to "Make one for the engine that works on my airplane and looks pretty."

National Air and Space museum (NASM) trip today and learned a few things. No pic for this but the stacking domes on the wing leading edges are all but 2" across. I thought they were much larger. Should be easy to hammer out. I wish that plane was exhibited with more light. There was some good monocoupe samples probably from the Stropp Albatros too.
    Next and there are a couple pics of strange serial numbers on the NASM Fokker D VII. I thought these were much larger at least on thefuselage except there were no numbers on the side of the fuse. I have to check specs and research photos to confirm these locations of smaller serial numbers on the fin, horizontal stabilizer, and elevator are correct.
    Name:  Fok NASM fin.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  70.3 KB
    Name:  Fok NASM tail feathers.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  87.6 KB

Next and there is a pic, the cowling louvers look to be round with the flat cutout for the vent in the back. All the other D VII louvers I have seen are vertical with round upper and lower ends.
    Name:  Fok NASM louvers look round.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  74.1 KB

The pic for the BMW D IIIa engine came out blurry but man that engine is enormous. I also noted from the display of a damaged Spandua LMG that the side plates are at least 2 mm thick. When I start building guns I am sure this spec will be in the NASM LMG drawings. I couldn't tell this from the LMG in a case at Udvar Hazy 2 weeks ago.
    Name:  Fok BMW D IIIa.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  Fok Spandue side plates looks like 2 mm thick.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  75.1 KB

Pics of the seat tomorrow.
    Jim

OK, I did some photo research last night. These serial number locations were on other aircraft along with the roundish louvers but they were on aircraft that were made at the Albatros factory. The strange part is the lack of serial numbers on the fuselage by the national symbol and mid section, nor are there weights and balance markings.