Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Fokker D VII

5/31, The Marcotte direct gear drive PSRU should ship by the end of the week.
    Name:  IMG_2544 (1).jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  87.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2548.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  84.4 KB

6/4/17, Not much to show as I have been busy with a residential client and house projects. But here if the cool clamps I welded up this week.
    These are double bolted Fokker clamps. They mount on the cross bar at the front of the cockpit and carry the adjustment for the rear gun saddles.
    Name:  Fok adjustable rear gun mount.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  96.4 KB

Very nice, and now I understand what all the fuss in making them was about.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

The PSRU came today

Hoping to have something to show by the end of the week. Maybe Sunday

6/13/17, I had to un-crate the Marcotte PSRU to spec all the bolts. I had seen the balancer peeking out when I checked for hardware the day it arrived but had not pulled any parts except to confirm all the hub hardware returned. I will pick up some grade 8 automotive bolts for now and may drill them or order some drilled from AS later. Be cool to mock this up.
    I have to redo my rear MG brackets as they came out slightly crooked then I think I will work on the cowling mount tubing and associated clamps. Then if I weld in the LG cups and put this on its legs it will start to look like a D VII.
    Name:  Fok Marcotte PSRU with Stearman hub.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  92.1 KB
    Name:  Fok psru balancer.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  94.3 KB

Neato! Nothing like having heavy things coming out of a big box to make one smile!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

6/18/17, Almost done with the cowl hoops and associated brackets. Gotta hate it when you run out of acetylene on Friday night. The first pic is of the hoops and the jig I made to position them to measure the angle between the engine bearer tubes and the cowl hoops.
    Name:  Fok cowl hoops.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  94.9 KB
    2nd pic is of the two upper cowl hoop brackets.
    Name:  Fok cowl hoop clamps.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  91.7 KB
    3rd pic shows the lower cowl hoop brackets to the right and the grab bars that I started.
    Name:  Fok grab hoop clamps and lower cowl hoop clamps.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  94.5 KB
    Fourth pic is of the gun mounts and some triangulating support tubes.
    Name:  Fok MG clamps.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  91.8 KB
    Peace
    Jim

6/25/17, Dang this is going to be a tall plane. Check out the pic with her legs on. I got the bungee boxes all welded up and one is on the axle box. For those that don't know bungee cords get wrapped tightly around the tubing of the two bungee boxes and looped over the axle. This provides the suspension for the front landing gear. The rear normally gets a skeg and that is supported by a bungee as well. Third pic is of the cowl hoops mounted with all 4 brackets. It is starting to look like a D VII. The last pics are the pilots step and rear ground handling loops.
    Name:  Fok undercarriage on plane.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  98.4 KB
    Name:  Fok cowl hoops and brackets.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  96.5 KB
    Name:  Fok bungee boxes.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  93.0 KB
    Name:  Fok step.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  95.3 KB
    Name:  Fok ground handling loops.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  94.5 KB

7/9/17, I promised some progress pics. The first pic is of some tabs that are welded on so that the very thin plywood turtle deck can be attached. It gets formed over a jig so that it has the matching curve and then it just gets bolted to these tabs.

Name:  Fok turtle deck tabs.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  90.6 KB

The second pic is of some simple clamps I made to attach things like the floor panel and two of these are the most forward turtle deck clamps. I am sure I will be making many more of these.

Name:  Fok clamps.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  93.6 KB