Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Building a Fokker D VII

Ideally, one would want the arm holding the wheel vertical to the ground as much as possible.

I guess I'm looking at the mount for the rear support perpendicular to the skid and interpolating the angle, when it's probably going to go forward of that for a steeper angle. I hadn't anticipated the skid coming off of the airplane at a 50 degree angle, which seems pretty aggressive.

I've had some tail wheel woes and just want to keep you from experiencing the same...
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank proper tail wheel camber is demonstrated in this sketch. Remember the tail skid flexes, or in my case pivots, which changes the relative camber of the tail wheel pivot. That is why the initial position of the, free camber, set to compensate for the suspension.
    Name:  Fok tail wheel.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  60.8 KB

Thanks! I suppose I should have known you'd of sussed it all out.

And I didn't say that your wheel on the end of the skid is absolutely brilliant in wondering about geometry.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Dangit
    Well that's not gonna work. I have about a 3* to 5* pitch on the spokes and I actually need a 13* to 15*, better I nail that down to an exact angle. Oh the discouragement of a failure in design and effort. I have about 3 weeks work in the wheels at this point. My suspicion is that I will be making new hubs. I guess I had some foresight when I bought 6' of 5" diameter 6061 T 6 aluminum for the hubs.
    Name:  Fok wheel lacing.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  92.0 KB

Been working on the elevator. And a pic of the stab for good measure.
    Name:  Fok elevator welded.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  95.9 KB
    Name:  Fok stab.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  96.8 KB

My new fav shirt
    Name:  Old_Fokker_black.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  72.7 KB

http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=4575

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Fantastic work, as always.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting that leather perfect on the seat. It's going to stretch and move on it's own as one gets in and out of the aircraft, as well as while sitting in it.

The tough part about getting it better is learning where to put the tension to bring out the folds. But you're in great shape - none of the ones shown are where the pilot is putting weight.

I would also suggest taking the seat assembly into the house and sitting in it for at least half an hour. You may find that there is zero lumbar support and your lower back will start to ache.

The funny thing about that is that one will not feel it while flying. But then, after taxi to the hangar, shutting the engine down, pushing the goggles up, one finds they suddenly have a set of minor spasms in their back as one stands up to dismount.

8/21/18, I got a few hours today to layout the ailerons and cut some tubing for the Fokker D VII. I also bent the tip bow for the balancer on the aileron. The extra tubing you see at the top of the pic is for the second aileron. I am short some 6 mm X 0.5 mm wall tubing. I should get out to Winchester next week and pick some up. It was good to get some time on the plane today.
    Name:  Fok aileron layout.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  94.3 KB

Been working on the second aileron. Anyone see a hinge or control horn on that spar? Yeah, me neither. The riblet tack welds have been cut off and I just need to clean the spar up and then begin again.
    Name:  Fok aileron with no hinges.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  96.0 KB

Oops.

Well, at least it's not an overly expensive fix.