Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glasair III advice

yeah the speed was all about going coast to coast...but the more i research I'm finding out it might be a bridge to far...checking out your model now.

Considering the following kits (with an eye on this Glasair)
    -RAI-6
    -Velocity XL
    -RV-10
    I'm not far from Dumfries, can I check out your RV?

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey Rom View Post
    Considering the following kits (with an eye on this Glasair)
    -RAI-6
    -Velocity XL
    -RV-10
    I'm not far from Dumfries, can I check out your RV?
    Absolutely! It is hangared at Manassas (KHEF). I'll be out there tomorrow morning for our Chapter meeting (EAA 186) but I'm flexible and can be out a convenient time for you. Drop me an email " auburntsts at gmail.com " or text me at 703-595-5453.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 01-27-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I fly a COZY MKIV. It cost me about $75K to build, and you can buy a flying one for $50K - $100K, depending upon how nice you want it to be. I figure $90 - $100/hr operating costs, including everything - all fixed and variable costs, as well as engine fund. I cruise at 165 KTAS anywhere between 6K - 17K ft. MSL, and get better gas mileage than my Subaru Outback, going 3 times as fast. I can make it from KTSP (CA) to KOSH in daylight with one stop, and have flown 1K NM legs at cruise speed - could be 1200 - 1300 NM if I wanted to slow down and live in the plane.

Is there a kit for the COZY MK IV or is this a project that must be done from plans only?

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey Rom View Post
    Is there a kit for the COZY MK IV or is this a project that must be done from plans only?
    Plans only, but there are many projects partially built for sale, and many complete aircraft for sale that can be purchased for less than it would cost you to build one from scratch, if you're not into building for building's sake. I have a list I compile of COZY's for sale - contact me directly at the email below if you want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Absolutely! It is hangared at Manassas (KHEF). I'll be out there tomorrow morning for our Chapter meeting (EAA 186) but I'm flexible and can be out a convenient time for you. Drop me an email " auburntsts at gmail.com " or text me at 703-595-5453.
    Todd what an awesome visit. Beautiful airplane would look forward to seeing how the paint turns out! Thanks for spending the time to go over it...best of luck.

I agree with cub builder. I bought a second hand glasair 3 kit and am happily flying after 8 years of building. Make sure the work thats has been done is quality stuff, and take your time. Set yourself a rule " if it's perfect it'll go into the airplane, if not, concider it good training"
    there will be some items you'll need to replace or order, but the deal you can do on a second hand kit ofsets the price by quite a bit.
    read the builders forums in an early stage of the build. That will give you a good insight as you start building that particular part, and you will be able to install better systems from the start
    make sure you have plenty of high wing loading and fast aircraft experience, or you will scare yourself and all that time building will leave a bitter taste. Why not buy and fly a fast but light aircraft whilst building the glasair. It'll help you getting used to one of the characterisics of the G3. Make sure you get briefed on high wing loading flying, and talk to experienced G3 pilots. Doing this will make you happy and proud of your glasair.
    glasair aviation can be slow in answering, i get the impression they're a bit understaffed, and their contact is very glasstar orientated and the 2 or 3 has less priority. They will help you out eventually but always aticipate and call early.
    never store the aircraft with full tanks, this might block the fuel float valves in the closed position, causing fuel starvation after an hour of flying. Bleed the gear hydraulic system to the last particule of air and it will work beautifully.
    Good luck, happy building and flying