Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First rib!

First rib!

After a few weeks of waiting for the wood to arrive, then a week or so of prep work (grooving capstrip, sanding, finishing the jig, etc) I finally got to actually mix up some epoxy this afternoon and build a rib. I'm kind of stoked, I gotta admit. And this is going to be a lot of work. There are 26 parts to each rib, and no two of those 26 are alike.

Name:  First_rib_20170306-e1488836154131-768x399.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  71.6 KB
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Hi Dale,

Great work. But are all the ribs the same? All my Fokker D VII ribs are pairs except for the center section ribs up top. That means one jig for each pair.

Jim

All are built on the same jig. 16 of them, I think (don't have the plans at hand), are aileron ribs, and have different bracing but are built in the same jig. Then there are a few dozen false ribs, which only go from the leading edge to the main spar. To speed things up a little I plan to use this rib to lay out a second jig, so I get all identical ribs.

I pulled it off the jig this morning. All the gluing looks good, I just need to work out the process for getting the right amount of glue on the joints. Some have a little more than needed, I'll have to trim/sand the excess off the capstrip where it ran down onto the jig (plastic covered of course). For my first effort I'd give it a passing grade. I'll just bury it mid-wing so the Oshkosh judges don't see it, I don't want to mess up my chance at that gold Lindy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokker Builder View Post
    Hi Dale,

Great work. But are all the ribs the same? All my Fokker D VII ribs are pairs except for the center section ribs up top. That means one jig for each pair.

Jim
    Wow. How different are they? I can see where the outboard (aileron) sections of the top wing would be different, but it looks like the lower wing ribs would mostly be the same.

Dale,

The top wing is cantilevered and is 29' 4", has a 5' cord and tapers in thickness from close to 6" inboard to about 2" outboard as the wing progresses toward the tip. The bottom wing has a 4' cord and also tapers as it progresses outboard, I think from about 5" to almost 1 3/4". I think I have 22 rib jigs to build. At least I only have ailerons on the upper wing.

Jim

Ah. OK. I hadn't thought about that taper! That makes sense.

Wait till you get to slide those ribs onto a spar. Gives stroked a whole new meaning.
    Name:  20160408_154347.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  96.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mmarien View Post
    Wait till you get to slide those ribs onto a spar. Gives stroked a whole new meaning.
    Looking forward to that! Right now my son's R/C Cub wings are taking up most of my workbench. I need to move that thing out of the way, he's only showing up about one night every couple of weeks to work on it. Time to re-prioritize my space.

what aircraft is it ?