Thread: Continental O-300B Cylinder Overhaul issues

Continental O-300B Cylinder Overhaul issues

Hi.
    I have a 1959 Cessna 172 with a less than 600 hour SMO, Continental O-300B and I need to have new guides installed in the cylinders and then the valves and seats ground and lapped. I have not been able to find a company (shop) that will do this head/cylinder work, they all tell me to buy new Millennium cylinders and for the cylinder kits alone is over $7,000.00 and the final price installed is in the neighborhood of 12 to 14K.

Question: Can anyone advise of a shop that will do the work and yellow tag my cylinders when they have completed the work.

Thanks,
    Jerry

Have you tried Bolduc Aviation? http://www.bolducaviation.com/ They do a lot of work on small Continentals.

Also check with Poplar Grove Airmotive. http://poplargroveairmotive.com/airc...ngine-service/
    Cheers!

Joe

Contact aerodyne in Cheapeake located at suffolk executive airport. Great folks to deal with.

Why do you need new guides at 600 hours ?????. Valves sticking ???? What about the rope trick if so ???

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Why do you need new guides at 600 hours ?????. Valves sticking ???? What about the rope trick if so ???
    I have had 2 of the cylinders done and inspection and tear down revealed that the guides had never been replaced and were severely worn. Cylinders were not properly overhauled. We think they May have ground the valves and seats. The compression now leaks because the valves will not always seat resulting in high heat leaking across the valve and seat and the guides do not retain lube oil. The two that have been done properly with new guides are working very well and test out at 78-79/80 when tested. One is leaking on the exhaust side and that is a grounding condition. Staking and the rope trick is good for testing but does fix the problem once the engine is running.

Thanks Joe, I will give them a call.

Thanks
    i will call them and see if they can assist. They are close as I live in Fredericksburg Va.