Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting regulations

Cutting regulations

"We're gonna be cutting regulation massively," the president said. "The problem with the regulation that we have right now is that you can't do anything. You can't, I have people that tell me they have more people working on regulations than they have doing product."

I wonder if this also applies to the FAA and its regulatory building castle? Decreasing the size and volume of regulations that have been promulgated these past 40 years would be a welcome relief.

Quote Originally Posted by saber25 View Post
    "We're gonna be cutting regulation massively," the president said. "The problem with the regulation that we have right now is that you can't do anything. You can't, I have people that tell me they have more people working on regulations than they have doing product."

I wonder if this also applies to the FAA and its regulatory building castle? Decreasing the size and volume of regulations that have been promulgated these past 40 years would be a welcome relief.
    Not enough visibility (e.g., less political advantage), and the FAA can always claim "Required for Safety." Besides, we just got simplified certification and medical policy.

Federal regulations are a huge Jenga stack. It may seem easy to winkle out one or two, but there's the potential to really make things come crashing down if the wrong combination is picked. On one hand, you have the President and a small group of political appointees, on the other hand you have a massive bureaucracy with a vested interest in the status quo. In many cases, given regulations are required by Acts of Congress (think of the changes after the Colgan crash) and those acts would need to be repealed before action can be taken. A bureaucrat could fight a delaying action for years.

I am reminded of the play/movie "Amadeus," when the Emperor has to pretend he has SOME sort of knowledge of music, after listening to the premiere of a Mozart opera:

"My dear young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect. "

The picking out which notes to cut is the hard part.....

Ron "Why don't I have three heads" Wanttaja

I wonder if this also applies to the FAA and its regulatory building castle.
    Ah, no. I think they are referring to different regulations, however, for the sake of conversation:

If you would like to see a single FAA regulation eliminated, which one would it be?

Actually, it was more of a question to those assembled that have witnessed the increasing volume of the FAR's while the total pilot population has dramatically decreased in the past decades. 49 years have passed since my PP and the book has increased substantially while I find the style of flying I do fits nicely into the FAR's as published in '68.

But since the question was raised which reg would I change, I would not require ADS-B unless you fly in airspace class A or B.

Actually, it was more of a question to those assembled that have witnessed the increasing volume of the FAR's while the total pilot population has dramatically decreased in the past decades. 49 years have passed since my PP and the book has increased substantially while I find the style of flying I do fits nicely into the FAR's as published in '68.
    I think the increased regulatory volume is probably mostly due to the increased complexity of the airspace, hence my suspicion that we won't see any regulatory relief. If it does trigger "Airspace simplification", my guess is we won't like it...they're more likely to place more airspace under control in the guise of safety.

Personally, I'd like to see the requirement for the Third Class medical totally eliminated. But this is one of those cases I referred to earlier...the current setup was directed by bill generated by Congress, with restrictions demanded by various Congresscritters, and signed by the President. It'd take someone to introduce a bill and ram it through both houses of Congress to repeal it.

Ron Wanttaja

But since the question was raised which reg would I change, I would not require ADS-B unless you fly in airspace class A or B.

Not sure what you mean by increasing volume of FARs. I got my Private back in 1986 and while there have been changes, the FARs that are most relevant to me, parts 61 and 91, are roughly the same.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Actually the regulations tend to periodically get overhauled. As far as 14 CFR goes we've had 61 and 23 rewrites in recent memory. Cleaning up the regulations is certainly an achievable task if there is mandate (and some stooge hasn't frozen changes). The real mess is the actual LAW: the USC. That requires an act of congress to change and it is full of drek (especially in things like the tax code).

IMHO they should redo the ultralight rule. A two place quicksilver should be an ultralight, as should any airplane that weighs twice what the pilot weighs. But it's not the fars or rules holding aviation back. It's the attitudes of those in aviation holding aviation back. If you can find an old school aviator he/she will help you and not break your bank account doing it. I know of one man who does Condition inspections for 150 bucks and he comes to you. But I only know one man who will do this. He is getting up in years and may not do this much longer. He will also do some training without breaking the bank. He charges me 40 bucks a half hour. This is using his airplane with fuel or wet and all. Grand total 40 bucks for 30 mins. Everyone else wants double his rates. Once this man is gone I hate to think what the services this man performs will cost from someone else. This is what is holding aviation back. The people involved.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-25-2017 at 07:07 AM.

So we need to cut all the people out of aviation?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    So we need to cut all the people out of aviation?
    Just the ugly ones. We'll form our OWN club!

Ron "Face made for radio" Wanttaja