Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting regulations

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    IMHO they should redo the ultralight rule. A two place quicksilver should be an ultralight,
    If you want to go there, where arbitrary cutoffs make little sense, I have a long list of planes that should be fine to fly under Sport Pilot privileges, but aren't. The 150/152 pilots would probably agree that if my RV-12 is LSA legal, their planes should be... but, no. Obviously the mighty Cessna 152 is far too dangerous.

Some examples are truly ridiculous. You can have two identical Aeronca Champs, with every single part matching as well as every detail of their history. Same engine, same prop, same equipment, landing gear, service history, everything. Totally identical, indistinguishable other than the N-number. One is LSA legal, the other is not and can never be made so, ever.

Sigh... These things don't have to make sense, they just are.

And you're right about the expense, but this is just not a cheap hobby. Probably never has been; I remember it being completely out of reach for me in the early 80s when I could have flown for $20 per hour wet. Some things just aren't cheap.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Just the ugly ones. We'll form our OWN club!
    I'm in! and if that doesn't work, I know the bikers will take me!

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Oddly enough, I've found that the vast majority of regulations just don't touch my little corner of aviation. I fly from an uncontrolled field in my little one seat homebuilt as a Sport Pilot.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
    I've always considered you the Khloe Kardashian of homebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Oddly enough, I've found that the vast majority of regulations just don't touch my little corner of aviation. I fly from an uncontrolled field in my little one seat homebuilt as a Sport Pilot.
    Having got my license in the distant mists o' the past (1972) it's an interesting thing to contemplate. Airspace is more complex (don't remember even TCAs back then), and aircraft equipment requirements are more complex (transponders, ADS-B, etc.) Looking through a table of contents for Part 91, trying to guess what's been added since. Note that many (most) of Part 91 has been AMENDED since then; I'm just looking for brand-new requirements.

Subpart A (General)
    - Probably modified 91.17 (Alcohol or drugs)
    - 91.19, carriage of drugs, marihuana, etc.
    - 91.21, truth-in-leasing
    - 91.25 Aviation Safety Reporting Program

Subpart B (Flight Rules)
    - 91.126-91.135, operations in Class A-G airspace
    - 91.137 & 138, TFRs for disaster areas
    - 91.141, restrictions on flight in proximity of the President
    - 91.143, restrictions in proximity of space operations
    - 91.146, passenger-carrying for charitable events
    For the VFR section of Part B, I don't really see any new requirements. For the IFR section, maybe a couple.

Subpart C (Equipment, Instrument, and Certificate Requirements)
    - 91.215, Transponder
    - 91.217, Transponder data correspondence
    - 91.219, Altitude alerting device (turbojet aircraft only)
    - 91.221-227, traffic alert systems, terrain warning, ADS-B, etc.

Subpart D (Special Flight Operations)
    - 91.321, carriage of candidates in elections
    - 91.325, Primary Category Aircraft
    - 91.327 LSAs

Subpart E (Maintenance, Preventive Maintenance, and Alterations)
    - 91.411, Altimeter system and altitude reporting tests
    - 91.413, ATC Transponder tests

So while there have been items added to Part 91, most don't really concern those of us that fly for the enjoyment of it. Mostly, as I said, the more-complex airspace and the transponder/ADS-B requirements.

Part 61 probably tightened up on medical conditions a bit. Part 43 basic outline probably hasn't changed much. Part 23 has undergone two major revisions, of course.

Probably the worst thing that has happened has been the rise in bureaucratic reluctance on the part of the FAA as far as allowing field approvals. An IA used to be able to just install a radio, now the FAA wants full paperwork and its own buyoff on it.

Ron Wanttaja