Thread: Anti-kink hint for hoses

Anti-kink hint for hoses

Ever need to connect a short hose with a tight bend - but can't because the hose collapses or kinks when you bend it? Try wrapping the hose with safety wire (or find a spring that fits tightly on the hose). The wire wrap prevents the hose from going out-of-round, even when bent sharply. See pix.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Neat!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by gossend View Post
    Ever need to connect a short hose with a tight bend - but can't because the hose collapses or kinks when you bend it? Try wrapping the hose with safety wire (or find a spring that fits tightly on the hose). The wire wrap prevents the hose from going out-of-round, even when bent sharply. See pix.
    I would be extremely hesitant to put an artificial "kink" reducer on any hydraulic hose. Every hose has a particular minimum bend radius - you can see the specifications here:

http://4wings.com/lib/files/sae_hoses.pdf

bending the hose to less than the minimum will damage the hose, even if you have wire wrapped around it. The bend radius you're showing in your pic is almost certainly well below the allowable for that diameter of hose - I wouldn't use it again.

My $0.02.