We are working on a few training items here at HQ based on the results of our survey, but we'd like to make sure you are aware of the range of options, which we've outlined below.
- Built-in Tutorials - SW has several self-paced built in tutorials that walk you through frequently used functionality. To access those, click on Help / SolidWorks Tutorials in the menu.
- Catalog of Free Videos - we'll work with our SW Support Volunteers to compile a list of YouTube (and other) videos that we think cover the essentials of using SW. We'll post that on this Thread. For now, here are two Youtube channels recommended by EAA Members and SW Support Volunteers: Vertanux1 and Tim Callinan
- MySolidWorks Guest Tutorials - 110+ tutorials are available free with a Guest subscription on the MySolidWorks website. It can be challenging to figure out how to get access, so I've included instructions below. If you want a course available with a professional subscription, please contact GSC at 800-454-2233 to get pricing.
- DS SOLIDWORKS Essentials - After completing included tutorials, the next step in training for serious users is to attend Essentials class. Available from SOLIDWORKS resellers for a fee, or you can access this course on YouTube and use these exercise files (select "SOLIDWORKS CAD" "2016" "Essentials" some exercises may not work with Student Design Kit version... but they are FREE).
- EAA Chapters - We will begin working with our SW Support Volunteers and others to explore development of training programs. The range of possibilities is endless, but could include instructor-led seminars, hands on workshops, 1-on-1 training. They are volunteers, so please be understanding and respectful of their time.
- SportAir Workshops - GSC is our partner for training and second tier program support. We'll be working to develop a 1-day workshop that is the first day of the Essentials course and a 5-day Essentials course. Pricing is under discussion, but the 1-day course should be comparable to SportAir Workshops and the 5 day course could be as high as $1800.
- Technical College Courses - There are many tech schools around the country that offer courses on how to use SW. Check with your local tech college.
Accessing tutorials on MySolidWorks using free Guest access:
1) Go here: http://my.solidworks.com/training/catalog/
2) Click Join on the top right
3) Enter an email address and select “I am not a SolidWorks customer or I do not have a SolidWorks Serial #” and click Next
4) Complete the address form and click Next
5) Enter your name, and a password, select all correspondence you do not want and click Next
6) They will send you a confirmation email. Click on the link in that email to confirm receipt.
7) You can now login on this page: http://my.solidworks.com/training/catalog/
8) After you are logged in, they may redirect you somewhere. Just re-paste the above address in your browser address bar.
9) You will have free access to 110+ tutorials assigned to Guest, but you will need to check off Guest Access Level in the catalog. If you don’t, it will present all training courses and you may be denied access if the course is not in the Guest Access level. You could also just follow this link: http://my.solidworks.com/training/ca...blevel%2FGuest
Last edited by Cory Puuri; 04-21-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Cory, I have a serial number with my student edition (obtained as a veteran, before EAA came out with its student edition). My version of SWx seems to have everything in it - have yet to discover an add-in I can't load. However, when I log into SolidWorks training it says I'm a "guest", not student, with limited access to the training material. The sheet metal course I wanted to take says I need Professional. Am I just approaching this wrong, or do I need to contact SolidWorks? I've used their Student Edition tech support a couple of times and they a very helpful and responsive, so I'm a bit surprised they won't let me take these sheet metal courses.
Thanks for what you're doing! Mark
There is a fellow named "Tim Callinan" on YouTube, and he has about 20 SOLIDWORKS training videos on his channel. Here is his SOLIDWORKS playlist. He's an instructor at a Community College out east, and is an EXCELLENT teacher. He's been using it for 10+ years, and it most definitely shows. I think his videos run about 35-40 hours in total, ranging from super-simple, to quite advanced. There are techniques in them for just about everything a person would need to do for aircraft construction.
I started watching his videos 3-4 months ago when I started with SW, and have re-watched all of them two or three times--and pick up new things each time through. Great stuff, and the price is most definitely right!
Just thought I'd mention it for folks who like to watch YouTube videos to learn.
Thank you for your service! The Military Program receives the Student Edition, which is more or less the same functionality as the Professional Edition, but it is only a 12 month license. It does not include any additional My SolidWorks training beyond what a Guest would receive. I have a call into GSC to ask if members can purchase Standard or Professional account subscriptions on My SolidWorks. Those subscriptions are controlled by the VARs.
Originally Posted by Mark Meredith
In the meantime, here is a YouTube video covering the basics of sheet metal:
Cory, I'm having the same problem as Mark M.
I wanted to take the Sheet Metal course. I have followed your step-by-step instructions and registered and when I go to this page -- http://my.solidworks.com/training/catalog/ -- and select the checkbox to display only "Guest" Access Level courses, the "Sheet Metal" course links to this page -- http://my.solidworks.com/training/el...64/sheet-metal -- and the only active videos/links are "eCourse Overview" and "Course Introduction", however it does not let me view the "Course Introduction" video and instead tells me that in order to view it I need to have completed the "SOLIDWORKS Essentials" course and that course is nowhere to be found. I've tried using the search bar at the top and still can't find it.
Furthermore, I have tried accessing other courses designated for "Guest" Access Level and none of them have worked. They all tell me that I need to have completed a specific previous course, but none of these prerequisite courses are anywhere to be found so I'm essentially locked out of everything unless I purchase the full course through a reseller.
Please help. I really want to get familiar with SolidWorks.
I just spoke with GSC, the VAR assigned by Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS. They can sell you access to individual courses on My SolidWorks. I don't have pricing. Please call 800-454-2233. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Alpha Kilo
You can also get some very good FREE and well done tutorials on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/user/vertanu...&live_view=500
There is also a web site with associated pdf training documents, and files.... here: http://www.vertanux1.com/part-files-1.html. It's all free.