Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iPad Mini

Quote Originally Posted by tcourt View Post
    I just rechecked the specs. The iPad Mini 4 Wifi doesn't have GPS. Often you will get location data on the ground because Apple and other companies have geo-located Wifi routers (yours and your neighbors).

See: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini-4/specs/ (section Location, half way down the screen). You don't have to have a cellular data plan to get the GPS to work, but you do need the Wifi+Cellular model.
    You are 100% right--I stand corrected! I thought my wifi-only iPad had GPS but after reading your post I got to thinking and the last time I flew was back in August (had a partial engine failure) and haven't flown since. I then realized that I got this iPad a couple of weeks after that event and have not flown with it so have not seen it operate outside of a wifi environment. Had I flown with it, it would have been obvious I expect. All is not lost though, as I have a GDL 39 3D that I can use as an external GPS source. Boy do I feel like a moron.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Thank you again... and I will say, as a member of EAA I find the "community" extremely supportive of all who fly or love flying. Joining EAA was one of the best decisions I made when I decided to get back in the left seat.

For those trying that decide to get an iPad with wifi only, it doesn't have a built in GPS. Here a quote from and article I found on ipadpilotnews.com

"Do you need a GPS? The first question some pilots may ask is whether you even need an external iPad GPS. If you own a WiFi-only model iPad, it’s simple – you have no built-in GPS so you definitely need one. However, LTE model iPads (ones with the cellular radio in it) have a built-in GPS receiver. Note that this GPS is completely separate from the cell service, so you don’t even have to have an active data plan for the GPS to work. You could buy an LTE model iPad, never activate your Verizon or AT&T service, and still have GPS data."
    http://ipadpilotnews.com/2015/12/cho...s-tips-pilots/

http://amzn.to/2jkZVbP

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FunInAviation; 01-15-2017 at 05:50 AM.

I own two iPad minis (what happens when you change providers). Both are cellular models and both are loaded with Garmin Pilot and Foreflight. I have a GDL39-3D in my plane to enhance the capabilities of the iDevices. Truth is, I rarely take a mini for normal flying. My plus size iPhone has Foreflight and Pilot on it and does everything I need. I'd take the mini if I was going across the country but mostly because I use it for entertainment when I travel. For flying? My iPhone Plus has retired the mini.

Thank you for the tip! I'm still leaning to the Samsung but not totally sold.....

I've been using Garmin Pilot ($79 per year for the VFR subscription) for 4 years and running it on my wifi-only 2013 Google (ASUS) Nexus 7 tablet. I also run Pilot on my Samsung phone for near-time weather checks while on the ground, (no add'l charge to run the app on a second device).
    If my Nexus ever goes TU, I'll replace it with another Android tablet and continue running the Pilot app.

I am so Blessed that all of you shared your time and expertise to help a low-time rusty pilot like me. I have made a decision.... I ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 16 GB with a 128GB micro SD. OH, and a ruggedized shroud in case the tablet slides off the wing!

God Bless and Safe Flying!

NOW, what should I do about software??!!

Quote Originally Posted by genav8r View Post
    I am so Blessed that all of you shared your time and expertise to help a low-time rusty pilot like me. I have made a decision.... I ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 16 GB with a 128GB micro SD. OH, and a ruggedized shroud in case the tablet slides off the wing!
    You won't regret it.
    NOW, what should I do about software??!!
    Try them all, keep the one(s) you like and use. That part will sort itself out.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Dale, I like your thinkin'!

You can order paper chart sectionals from Sportys and others, and batteries never run down on a chart. Charts are easier to read in turbulence, and glare than I pad.
    Gps is nice to have with charts also.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-19-2017 at 10:25 PM.