Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iPad Mini

And on the wind correction front. The GPS in the app's gives you your course taking into account wind. You end up finding a compass heading that allows you to hold your course. This is very similar to out the window VFR flying where you point the plane in a direction that keeps you on a line where you want to go. But now there is a route line superimposed on a map and typically a short line extending from your current location towards where you are going. When the two lines overlap you are on route and on course. Very intuitive.

Ditto what DaleB said. Recommend Android.

I also live near the junction of Miami and Jax sectionals, need the Class B chart, too. Have a Mustang II with an untinted bubble canopy. I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 inch (model # GT-P5113) for about three years. No data plan, built in GPS, wifi. Charts app is Avare. Built a Stratux (not Stratus) to get ADSB in, both traffic and weather. Didn't build the GPS option into the Stratux. Moving map display shows graphic TFRs, nexrad, metars, TAFs, aircraft tracking across your choice of sectionals, Class B charts, IFR high or low charts, geo-referenced instrument approach charts, and shows aircraft position on airport diagrams. Airport facility directory, terrain, traffic, flight planning, magenta line on the charts, etc. Total cost, hardware and software, including tax, $420 or so (not including phone). Recurring subscription cost, $zero (donations accepted). What Foreflight would have cost for this time period, minimum of $300 for software alone. Realizing that Foreflight has more options available if you pay more.

iPad I flew with once didn't work well in bubble canopy aircraft, the screen heated up in the sun and the unit shut itself down to cool off. I've never had the GT-P5113 shut down like that. But. Backup for the tablet is my phone. Stratux feeds the GT-P5113 and my Galaxy Core Prime phone simultaneously.

A friend has a Galaxy Tab with a 7" screen, running same app.

Avare does not play with iPads or iPhones.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks much -

I'm guessing in the 152/172 that may be a problem...

I'll put in a good word for the Samsung Galaxy Tablet with the 7" screen, an anti-glare screen protector, and the Naviator software. I flew a Pitts from NH to TX and back without paper charts for the first time and it worked great. Put the tablet on my knee to avoid glare under the bubble canopy. The only issue was that running the display at 100% brought the internal battery life down to only 4 hrs. An outside power "brick" or plugging into ships power solves that problem but it is one more cable to keep neat.

Much neater cockpit without paper charts stuffed here and there. And no trying to refold a sectional while the Pitts decides which way to spiral...

I did have an older Garmin 196 as a backup.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by tcourt View Post
    If you do go the iPad route, just remember that Wifi-only iPad's don't have a built in GPS. You've got to get the cellular data models to get the GPS. This means you will need to buy something like a Bad Elf (or a Stratus/Stratux with GPS) as well if you have a Wifi iPad. Depending on how much metal is over your head in your cockpit you may have needed an external GPS anyway.
    That is not correct. I have a wifi-only iPad mini and it has GPS.

To the OP, I have used both a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and now my iPad mini, both running GarminPilot. Both worked just fine so so can't go wrong with either choice. If you won't be using the tab for much of anything else, I'd go with the cheapest option. The one thing I really like about the Android tabs is most are capable of memory expansion with microSD cards where iPads are all internal. I also never had cellular capability because I never found a need. In an emergency my plan was to use my smart phone as a wifi hotspot if I needed to connect but in 5 years I've never had to.

as for the apps, they all pretty much do the same thing--best bet is download trial copies and give them a test run to see which interface and features you like best. I will say I will never go back to paper. And my backup is a second copy of my app GarminPilot) on my iPhone.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    I'll put in a good word for the Samsung Galaxy Tablet with the 7" screen, an anti-glare screen protector, and the Naviator software. I flew a Pitts from NH to TX and back without paper charts for the first time and it worked great. Put the tablet on my knee to avoid glare under the bubble canopy. The only issue was that running the display at 100% brought the internal battery life down to only 4 hrs. An outside power "brick" or plugging into ships power solves that problem but it is one more cable to keep neat.

Much neater cockpit without paper charts stuffed here and there. And no trying to refold a sectional while the Pitts decides which way to spiral...

I did have an older Garmin 196 as a backup.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Thanks for the input - I've stil not decided - I went to a FAAST seminar and they all flew iPad's! ny hanger neighbor flys the iPad... but another guy I know uses the Samsung. I have a 7" Samsung; 8GB so I will upgrade no matter what but the Galaxy Tablets are a little thin on the market now...

Thanks for your insight! I am leaning the the Samsung...

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    That is not correct. I have a wifi-only iPad mini and it has GPS.
    I just rechecked the specs. The iPad Mini 4 Wifi doesn't have GPS. Often you will get location data on the ground because Apple and other companies have geo-located Wifi routers (yours and your neighbors).

See: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini-4/specs/ (section Location, half way down the screen). You don't have to have a cellular data plan to get the GPS to work, but you do need the Wifi+Cellular model.

One point that I found in favor of the Samsung was its ability to accept a flash memory card to expand the space available for apps. Apple is a closed box, and as noted above, the wifi-only model does not have a built-in gps. I have the basic Samsung 7" Galaxy model with 8Gb onboard storage, but I have installed a 32Gb SD card. I can load Naviator and all of the charts that I need onto the SD card. I also have the automobile navigation program CoPilot and all of the road maps I need on the SD card. So I can fly somewhere, and get a cheap rental car to get to my hotel, event, whatever, all using the same Samsung tablet. So if you already own a Samsung Galaxy 7", load up a free trial of one of the navigation apps, Naviator, iFly, etc., and give it a try before you spend more $$.

I know guys who are iPad guys and pair it with an external combo gps/ahrs/ADS-B in box. A very powerful setup but twice as expensive and overkill for a Pitts. You have to decide what works for you.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Last edited by WLIU; 01-14-2017 at 06:50 PM.