Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: iPad Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

I could be wrong, but I also strongly suspect that what we also have here is a generational divide. I've been flying for 43 plus years-- if I want to call my MFD and PFD "TV screens", then I know that I've damn well earned the right to do so!
    A generation thing, certainly....

"Strike Eagle, Strike Eagle, they call me by name
    I bomb the hell out of Goldwater range,
    I fly o'er the mountains, I fly o'er the sea
    Ain't no combat aircraft as deadly as me.

"I got enough TV sets for the whole VHF band,
    My two couch potatos are the best in the land,
    Cross-country on weekends, there's cartoons galore,
    With enough screens left over to keep track of the war.

"I've done it for practice, in dark and in rain,
    Seymour and Idaho, England and Spain
    WESTPAC and NORPAC with other brave lads,
    And I've done it for real over downtown Baghdad....
    "

- Dick Jonas, "Strike Eagle"

Ron "I usually refer to them as, 'The Video Game'" Wanttaja

Yes, they are incredible tools but that doesn't mean they are good and effective without serious user flaws. I know how to use them, trained real hard to use them as well as overcome my personal distaste for them but that does not diminish the fact that the MFD is unnessisarily complex in terms of time consuming procedural steps for any given function. And that's what is distracting and keeping your head inside way too too much. It has the capacity to cause an unsafe environment.
    Maybe that's a G1000 thing. I don't find flying with an EFIS any less distracting than flying behind 1960s vintage steam gauges. Less, in fact, since it takes zero twiddling to do things like know what my OAT and TAS and ground speed are. Everything's in one place, easy to see more information at a quick glance than was available before. It would be easier with a newer, flashier screen with more bells & whistles. As it is now most of the time I spend with my head down is futzing with the aging GPS, or looking up frequencies and dialing them into the radio. The newer ones with the COM, GPS & moving map integrated make that a lot quicker and easier...

allowing more time to look out the window.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I'm not being glib or condescending, I am asking you a truth seeking, sincere and important question. Do you ever get your head out of the digital, multiple TV screened cockpit, look around outside for safety and actually enjoy being up in the air flying? That's my challenge, problem and annoyance bordering on anger with my G1000. And I'm rebelling against it.
    And what do you expect to see when flying actual IMC which is what this airplane is built to do on occasions?

FWIW in over 35yrs of flying I have learned how and when to use my equipment, something many pilots never learn to do.

THIS is what the "TV" screens are for.
    Last edited by Puertoricoflyer; 01-23-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    Galin
    KIS4 - N819PR
    CP, ASEL, AMEL, IR
    http://www.puertoricoflyer.com

You folks all know there is a grain of truth in the preceding comments about being too busy inside to look outside. Since the proliferation of traffic avoidance presentations in the cockpit (TV screens?) I've noticed a lot more people obsessing over why they can't see that airplane fifteen miles away going the other direction 25k feet above them. Screen/outside/screen/outside/etc but not scanning for traffic, just looking for the "red dot" and ignoring the fact that many aircraft aren't displayed and the vultures, eagles, etc will NEVER show up on the screen until they come through the canopy and bounce off your head.

"It's a tool, son, don't cut yourself with it." said every Dad ever.

Some more great gouge!

So I got my new Samsung TAB 2, 8" 16Gb tablet Friday and loaded the trial ver of Garmin Pilot. I flew it SAT AM on a 60mi X-country - I loved the "TV SCREEN"! And yes, other than a scan of instruments and tablet I was able to keep my focus outside of the aircraft. most of the trip - I will say the first 5 minutes after T/O I did take a hard look at the tablet after reaching alt and trimming the aircraft.... It was a real joy to just follow a digital rhumb line to my destination.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Puertoricoflyer View Post
    And what do you expect to see when flying actual IMC which is what this airplane is built to do on occasions?

FWIW in over 35yrs of flying I have learned how and when to use my equipment, something many pilots never learn to do.

THIS is what the "TV" screens are for.
    You don't only fly in IMC, do ya? So, since I have to couch my words carefully with you so you don't deflect, maybe you could answer my honest question when you are flying under VFR conditions.

You don't only fly in IMC, do ya? So, since I have to couch my words carefully with you so you don't deflect, maybe you could answer my honest question when you are flying under VFR conditions.
    When VMC I fly VISUAL, hence the term. No need to look at the "TV screens" very much.

You do realize that some of us have "TV screens" yet can still fly visually or do you think having "TV" screens" means you can never fly visually? I honestly don't understand what one thing has to do with the other unless you are just arguing for arguments sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    "It's a tool, son, don't cut yourself with it." said every Dad ever.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Last edited by Puertoricoflyer; 01-23-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    Galin
    KIS4 - N819PR
    CP, ASEL, AMEL, IR

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Puertoricoflyer View Post
    When VMC I fly VISUAL, hence the term. No need to look at the "TV screens" very much.

You do realize that some of us have "TV screens" yet can still fly visually or do you think having "TV" screens" means you can never fly visually? I honestly don't understand what one thing has to do with the other unless you are just arguing for arguments
    I can see very well that you don't understand. Never mind.

I can see very well that you don't understand. Never mind.
    You are correct, I REALLY don't understand what you meant or were insinuating when you stated:
    Do you ever get your head out of the digital, multiple TV screened cockpit, look around outside for safety and actually enjoy being up in the air flying?

But I still love my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 as replacement for my paper.
    Last edited by Puertoricoflyer; 01-23-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    Galin
    KIS4 - N819PR
    CP, ASEL, AMEL, IR

I'm not being glib or condescending, I am asking you a truth seeking, sincere and important question. Do you ever get your head out of the digital, multiple TV screened cockpit, look around outside for safety and actually enjoy being up in the air flying? That's my challenge, problem and annoyance bordering on anger with my G1000. And I'm rebelling against it.
    Easy, big fella. It looks like PRFlyer has a sensible panel. I recall a glass panel that had:
    An EADI and EHSI for each pilot. 4 displays.
    An engine mgt display for each pilot. we're up to six now.
    A central power & performance display. Count is now seven.
    A Garmin 530. Screen count is now eight.
    Sperry/Honeywell multi-mode radar. Nine displays total.
    It had to be flown a lot "eye balls out" because of it lived in a high density traffic area. The displays are surprisingly easy to read and show a lot of info.

Bob