Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPad Mini

iPad Mini

I'm a rusty pilot that just got my check ride after 16 years! So I went to the local FBO to purchase the Miami & JAX sectionals - no one sells them! So now I'm thinking about a tablet.

My questions are:

Apple or Android, and why?

WIFI or WIFI & Carrier Network and why?

Best Applications for VFR and IFR (Will start working on IFR in March)

Do the new programs correct headings for wind or do I still crank out the old EA-6B?

Cheapest, yet reliable alternative to Foreflight and others popular?

Are there any good on-line training opportunities; free or paid?

Accessories to use in C152 or C172?

Thanks in advance for your input and thoughts!

I would order or print paper. I can't see my iPad mini in bright sun.

Thanks Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I would order or print paper. I can't see my iPad mini in bright sun.

Just today I ordered on a subscription bases Miami and JAX sectionals....

A lot of guys like ForeFlight on an iPad. I've seen it, it's pretty nice, but the price is pretty steep too. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (partly for its absolutely incredible display) with no cellular data. The internal GPS works quite well. It will run Avare, iFly, FltPlan Go, pretty much anything but ForeFlight. I like Avare, but I may buy a subscription for iFly GPS at some point. Avare has downloadable charts and A/FD for free.

I especially like being able to have EVERY chart available, along with the A/FD, ALL the manuals for my plane and engine, radio, EFIS, transponder, ELT, everything. And it will listen to my Stratux setup to show me weather and traffic, if there is someone within a few miles who's got ADS-B out.

I went with the Android device for a few reasons. First, the cost is FAR less than an iPad and FF. Second, I can use Avare, which is a very capable app that costs nothing -- even for the charts. Third, if I decide to and have the time to mess with it, I could let Avare drive my autopilot -- meaning no more needing to enter my route twice, once in the Garmin GS to drive the AP, and once on the tablet for planning. I elected NOT to get cellular data because I'm cheap. It would be nice to have, kind of... most of the time you're flying it won't work anyway. If I really really feel the need for updated WX before departure, I can always taxi past the FBO and pick up their wifi on the way out.

So, yes, I bought a not-too-cheap tablet, which I would have anyway. I dropped an extra $20 or so on a Ram ball mount holder for it. But for the past year my cost for software, weather data, charts and airport directories has been exactly $0.00. I can read the tablet just fine, even in direct sunlight, and can zoom in or out as needed. I love it and would do it the same a second time.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Really Good Gouge Dale!

That's the thing - it is worth an additional $100+ to get the iPad when a Samsung will do the trick - And I'm looking at Foreflight and Garmin and it all eats at you flying $$. I have a Samsung 8" but will probably upgrade to the 10.. I'll take a look at the Avare as well.

Very much appreciated!

Definitely do look at Avare. Chances are it will do what you need.

Hardware-wise, my wife has an iPad bought a couple of months before I got my Samsung. Both are realy nice. I like my display a little better. Having used both Apple and Android for a while, I'm definitely leaning more toward Android but that's a matter of personal preference.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I fly a Cessna 172. Here's my setup. It really works great. The yoke mount puts the iPad mini right in front of my face, with very little glare. I don't like using a glare shield at all. My Status II is mounted on the windshield using the suction cup that comes with the Stratus. Be sure and get an iPad that has the capability to have a data plan, not wifi only. The iPad that has a data plan capability will have a GPS chip. The wifi only iPad doesn't have a GPS chip.

I got my RAM Yoke mount from Amazon:
    http://amzn.to/2jBircs

thanks for the info!

I carry a full size iPad. The mini is just too hard for me. I've got it in a fold around OtterBox case (saved it a few times when it slid off the wing onto the ramp). I use AT&T because that was what all my other phones were more than anything else. Foreflight primarily but I've also got some of the Jepp stuff installed.

If you mean does the flight planner give you headings with WCA based on the winds aloft forecasts. Yep, at least foreflight and most likely everything else does/

If you do go the iPad route, just remember that Wifi-only iPad's don't have a built in GPS. You've got to get the cellular data models to get the GPS. This means you will need to buy something like a Bad Elf (or a Stratus/Stratux with GPS) as well if you have a Wifi iPad. Depending on how much metal is over your head in your cockpit you may have needed an external GPS anyway.