Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: iPad Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    For Foreflight, the updates are very frequent. You do have to go to the dedicated update page(set like a home page) and press "download". That's all, easy peasy.
    The rate of updates is NO DIFFERENT than the rate the government issues them (and no different than for PAPER charts). Sectionals are issued on a six-month cycle but they are staggered on 28 day boundaries. There is technically a chart update every 56 days in the supplement. The Supplement (fomerly AF/D) comes out every 56 days. IFR charts main cycle come out every 56 days with a midcycle (28 day) update. So, no matter WHAT software you are using, if you want to verify you have the latest version of everything, it needs to at least check for updates every 28 days. How much it has to download depends on what type of charts and what areas you have selected.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The rate of updates is NO DIFFERENT than the rate the government issues them (and no different than for PAPER charts). Sectionals are issued on a six-month cycle but they are staggered on 28 day boundaries. There is technically a chart update every 56 days in the supplement. The Supplement (fomerly AF/D) comes out every 56 days. IFR charts main cycle come out every 56 days with a midcycle (28 day) update. So, no matter WHAT software you are using, if you want to verify you have the latest version of everything, it needs to at least check for updates every 28 days. How much it has to download depends on what type of charts and what areas you have selected.
    Your first sentence is correct but it's of no relevance. The factual reality is that the electronic software updates just present themselves as required. No one has to give it any thought whatsoever, just download. No one has to think about or ever care about 6 month cycles, 28 day boundaries, 56 day supplements, main cycles and mid cycles. Who gives a flying fidoo?

For what its worth, my Samsung running Naviator always notifies me that updates to charts are available when I start the program. And the app itself regularly updates when I power on the tablet. I think that is part of the Android design as I also see updates to other apps at power up.

I have learned to start up Naviator in the FBO where wifi is available so that I have the latest data before going out to the airplane. All works pretty well. I do not plan on purchasing paper charts in the future. That said, I have a less functional Garmin 196 as a backup. I trust the data in the tablet but it is an electronic device that is subject to the same flaws that out panel mount electronics are. That is likely why all of the app providers make their terms of use cover 2 or 3 devices. Put each nav app on your tablet as primary and on your phone as a backup.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I have Garmin Pilot and Foreflight subscriptions. Have had both for years. I prefer Foreflight for planning and GP for flying. Garmin Pilot updates charts automatically. When I get app store update prompts it's for an app update, not a data update. Foreflight prompts me to do updates and I have to initiate them. That's true whether the update is to the app or the charts.

I haven't bought a paper chart or Alaska Supplement in years. No need. My iDevices have proven reliable. More reliable than me remembering to update paper charts!

FWIW: I use the 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (I paid $250 with 32GB capacity) with internal GPS chip. I added a 64GB SD chip ($15) for a total of 96GB of memory. The display is SUPER bright and it doesn't overheat as easy as the iPads do. I have it connected to a USB charging port on my panel so it never runs out of power.

I run the free FltPlanGO app which gives me geo-referenced maps, charts, plates, checklists, Weight & Balance an lots more. I also have about 40hrs of music on it wired to my audio panel. This set up works very well for me. YMMV

Last edited by Puertoricoflyer; 01-22-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Galin
    KIS4 - N819PR
    CP, ASEL, AMEL, IR
    http://www.puertoricoflyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I have Garmin Pilot and Foreflight subscriptions.
    What device are you using to get your data input? (e.g., GDL 69). I have been using Foreflight since it first came out and I am quite happy with it, but now that I have a D2 Bravo watch I am considering GP.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I have a GDL39-3D that talks to both GP and Foreflight. I prefer the Garmin moving map page. I don't like chart views on moving maps. Foreflight's aerial view is nice but requires a cell or wifi connection. That's difficult for me. My iDevices are cell models so I don't need the GDL for them to work, and without the GDL they work fine. I have the GDL for ADHRS functions, the ADHRS contribution to synthetic vision, and ADS-B weather information. I have to get into the air to get reception to get that weather info but so far that hasn't been a problem. My new EX Cub (finished in April) has a G3X Touch with GDL39R. Yep, I'm a Garmin fan!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Puertoricoflyer View Post
    FWIW: I use the 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (I paid $250 with 32GB capacity) with internal GPS chip. I added a 64GB SD chip ($15) for a total of 96GB of memory. The display is SUPER bright and it doesn't overheat as easy as the iPads do. I have it connected to a USB charging port on my panel so it never runs out of power.

I run the free FltPlanGO app which gives me geo-referenced maps, charts, plates, checklists, Weight & Balance an lots more. I also have about 40hrs of music on it wired to my audio panel. This set up works very well for me. YMMV

I'm not being glib or condescending, I am asking you a truth seeking, sincere and important question. Do you ever get your head out of the digital, multiple TV screened cockpit, look around outside for safety and actually enjoy being up in the air flying? That's my challenge, problem and annoyance bordering on anger with my G1000. And I'm rebelling against it.

They are not "TV screens". They are aircraft instruments that display similar information as the steam gauges you prefer but the flat screens present more information better. These flat screens are incredible tools. Your presumption that people "watch" them is tired rhetoric. It is important that the pilot know how to use the device to minimize distraction but that's a matter of training and repetition. Just like when we first got handheld GPS units. We learned. In any case, this stuff doesn't represent the future, it represents the present. You may as well start getting used to it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    They are not "TV screens". They are aircraft instruments that display similar information as the steam gauges you prefer but the flat screens present more information better. These flat screens are incredible tools. Your presumption that people "watch" them is tired rhetoric. It is important that the pilot know how to use the device to minimize distraction but that's a matter of training and repetition. In any case, this stuff doesn't represent the future, it represents the present. You may as well start getting used to it.
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

I could be wrong, but I also strongly suspect that what we also have here is a generational divide. I've been flying for 43 plus years-- if I want to call my MFD and PFD "TV screens", then I know that I've damn well earned the right to do so! If you can't be helpful then don't start the conversation with semantics.

And furthermore, don't denegrate and dismiss my legitimate concerns by labelling them "presumptions" and "tired rhetoric". The concerns are sincere, real time and real life, devoid of bombast. I suspect you've confused me with someone else.

Yes, they are incredible tools but that doesn't mean they are good and effective without serious user flaws. I know how to use them, trained real hard to use them as well as overcome my personal distaste for them but that does not diminish the fact that the MFD is unnessisarily complex in terms of time consuming procedural steps for any given function. And that's what is distracting and keeping your head inside way too too much. It has the capacity to cause an unsafe environment.