Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tent Camping bad weather

In fact, other than a single night back when was on a Webelos weekend trip back when I was like 12 or so, the only time I've ever slept in a tent is at Oshkosh. When we were arriving in the club 172 and parking in the North 40, the first year my wife brought "her tent" (her family camped all the time growing up, mostly because they were disinclined to pay for hotels when on vacations). Alas, her tent was a 6x6x3" dome tent. I'm 6' 1" so I didn't find it particularly comfortable. Margy thought she was being extravagant at the time by buying those roll-up self inflating pads for under the sleeping bags.

When we got the Navion we started bringing progressively larger tents and air mattresses/air beds. Finally we evolved to just storing everything in a rental locker off the field at Oshkosh and now we have a Cabella's Alaskan Guide tent, two Cabella's folding camp beds, and a ton of cooking and other stuff (to include the massage table) that we share with a dozen or so others in our Volunteer group.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Charpentier View Post
    Not to be the weird non-conformist around here, but two years ago I spent a few nights in Camp Scholler with a camping hammock from Hennessy (https://hennessyhammock.com/). I can't say enough good things about them, other than they're single-occupancy and you need a site with two correctly-spaced trees. It is fully enclosed with a rainfly, just like a tent, and you enter through a velcro closure on the bottom. They handle wind well, and obviously there's not too much to be concerned about in the rain since you're off the ground. They're great for people who have trouble sleeping in tents because of back issues, since you don't need to crouch to enter and the hammock supports your back. They also pack down to almost nothing and have negligible weight.
    Sounds good to me. I only need 6 hours sleep at Oshkosh.
    Is there a designated (or allowed) wooded area for hammocks only?
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 01-14-2017 at 10:54 AM.

For sure, tenting at OSH isn't hard core camping. With showers and toilets and all the amenities one needs to live comfortably right there within a short walk, the only time it gets hard corish is when a big storm hits. That's why having a good tent is essential; otherwise, any old el cheapo would do.

Incidentally, the reason I have a 4+ person size tent for just me (or occasionally I've had buddies who fly to OSH with me, or who overnight when I'm at OSH, plus my dog when I'm camping elsewhere) is that it gives me lots of room. I'm what some folks call a glamper, whether I'm airplane camping or truck camping. I have an old motorhome, but it hasn't been used much in years. Frankly, I really enjoy tent camping, as long as I can be comfortable doing it. I sleep on a cot. In cold weather, I heat the tent (not an OSH issue, obviously!). I have water, a shower, toilet, kitchen--all the amenities. Plus at OSH, I have the best alarm clock--the sound of a Merlin or P&W at full power at 6 a.m. can't be beat!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee