Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Med Reform Doctors Form

Given a steak. Unhappy because is wasn't Filet Mignon? Anything the FAA is involved in is going to be bureaucratic just by their nature. I don't know how you could expect anything else. But now it's 4 years rather than 2. I can deal with my own physician whom I see annually for a physical anyway rather than playing games with an FAA blessed AME that adds no value to my health care. If I ever need a special issuance, it's a one time deal, not an annual deal requiring six months grounded while waiting for the FAA paper pushers. It may not be everything you wanted, but it's a heck of a big step in the right direction. It was only 10 years ago that we were finally able to push the FAA into allowing powered flight without a physical (light sport class). In terms of a government bureaucracy relinquishing power, getting two steps forward in just over a decade is a lot. Maybe 10 years from now, the FAA can be further pushed to meet your desires... if there are enough like minded folks to help you push it. No matter what the proposal, there will always be those with an agenda to oppose it. So it is rare that any proposal goes through congress or a bureaucracy without a significant amount of watering down. In this case, if you don't like the new law, you can always continue getting a 3rd class med. As for me, I don't expect to ever see my AME again unless he happens to be out at the airport.

-Cub Builder

The AME's side of the medical form says "Anus" as well. However, most of the items either on the AME handbook or in the AC 68-1 are pretty vague about what you're supposed to check for on most lines. Anus: has one. Check. Even being one doesn't seem to be disqualifying.

I've been flying for over 10 years with NO medical needed and only a valid drivers license. Now, the idiots want me to GET A MEDICAL TO NOT NEED A MEDICAL?? Excuse me, what's the point IF I'm going to be flying USING A DRIVERS LICENSE?

EAA/AOPA both died on the stick getting this passed. They should have held out to get REAL 3RD CLASS MEDICAL REFORM, not this JOKE. Has anyone read the items YOUR doctor has to sign off on?

This was not worth the time and effort and expense to get this comedy into "law".. Shame on Congress and all involved in this fiasco.

Don't we ALL "SELF CERTIFY" ourselves BEFORE every flight to determine IF we should fly or not? What has changed except the level of government involved! More questions into our PRIVATE LIVES. More time and energy expended to satisfy the "government"..

Anyone that thought this BasicMed was going to be an improvement must have been using drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwright5 View Post

Anyone that thought this BasicMed was going to be an improvement must have been using drugs.
    Well......I guess I'm on drugs.........

Because after seeing the final rule I'm still convinced BasicMed is a great option for many of us.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post

Because after seeing the final rule I'm still convinced BasicMed is a great option for many of us.
    I'm very happy with how the rule turned out and look forward to taking advantage of it in the future. It would be nice if you didn't need that one-time vist to an AME for a 3rd class, and I'm not really sure what value that requirement adds, but the rule as it stands will be beneficial for many in the future.

Thanks EAA & AOPA. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwright5 View Post
    I've been flying for over 10 years with NO medical needed and only a valid drivers license. Now, the idiots want me to GET A MEDICAL TO NOT NEED A MEDICAL?? Excuse me, what's the point IF I'm going to be flying USING A DRIVERS LICENSE?

EAA/AOPA both died on the stick getting this passed. They should have held out to get REAL 3RD CLASS MEDICAL REFORM, not this JOKE. Has anyone read the items YOUR doctor has to sign off on?

This was not worth the time and effort and expense to get this comedy into "law".. Shame on Congress and all involved in this fiasco.

Don't we ALL "SELF CERTIFY" ourselves BEFORE every flight to determine IF we should fly or not? What has changed except the level of government involved! More questions into our PRIVATE LIVES. More time and energy expended to satisfy the "government"..

Some believe anything they are told. Kinda reminds me of a boss I had once. He would cover the price then put in big words....Special...Then raise the price. Everyone ate it up. They all thought what deal. They got nothing, Kinda like this. I agree with you Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post

For many, yes -- especially SI holders. Many of us are still pretty much SOL. I don't begrudge you the minor win, but don't expect a lot of jumping and clapping. Enjoy the victory while you can.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.