Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt Fleet Sizes

Homebuilt Fleet Sizes

This table shows the number of particular homebuilt types that were registered as of 3 January 2017. The value is the fleet size at the end of the labeled year.
    Type
    Count
    Air Command
    Aventura
    Avid
    Baby/Junior Ace
    Bede BD-4
    Bede BD-5
    Benson Gyro
    Bowers Fly Baby
    Challenger
    Christen Eagle
    Glasair
    GlaStar/Sportsman
    Harmon Rocket
    Hatz
    Kitfox
    Kolb (Ex-AB)
    Lancair (All Models)
    Lancair IV
    Midget Mustang
    Murphy
    Pietenpol
    Pitts (EX-AB)
    Pulsar/KIS
    Quickie/Q2/Q200
    Quicksilver EX-AB
    RAF-2000 Gyro
    Rand KR-2
    RANS
    Rotorway
    Rutan Long-EZ
    Rutan Varieze
    SeaRey
    Sonerai
    Sonex
    Steen Skybolt
    Stolp
    Stolp Starduster
    Thorp T-18
    Vans RV-3
    Vans RV-4
    Vans RV-6
    Vans RV-7
    Vans RV-8
    Vans RV-9
    Vans RV-10
    Vans RV-12 (EX-AB)
    Velocity
    Volksplane
    Zenair EX-AB

Ron Wanttaja

I'm guessing you pulled this data from the FAA registry by make which will exclude non-standard registrations (e.g. Van's RV-7 vs. Bob Smith Special 7)? I ask because the Van's numbers, and most likely other makes are low-- I estimate by possibly as much as 20%. For example, your data shows only 453 RV-10s while Vans site shows 819 self reported first flights--that's a pretty big discrepancy.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 01-08-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Interesting, to add to Todd's comment, here are the numbers from Van's site:

As of January 6, 2017 9,582 RV aircraft have been completed and flown!
    Listed by Model
    RV-3 295
    RV-4 1,401
    RV-6/6A 2,597
    RV-7/7A 1,553
    RV-8/8A 1,373
    RV-9/9A 1,035
    RV-10 819
    RV-12 490
    RV-14/14A 19
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I'm guessing you pulled this data from the FAA registry by make which will exclude non-standard registrations (e.g. Van's RV-7 vs. Bob Smith Special 7)? I ask because the Van's numbers, and most likely other makes are low-- I estimate by possibly as much as 20%. For example, your data shows only 453 RV-10s while Vans site shows 819 self reported first flights--that's a pretty big discrepancy.
    I try to find non-standard registrations as much as I can... for the RV-10, for instance, I use:

Like "*RV-10*" Or Like "*RV 10*" Or Like "*RV10*" Or Like "*VANS 10*" It certainly doesn't catch the "Joes Ten" registrations, but its unknown how often those sorts of variations are made.

If anyone has an N-Number list, I'd be happy to run them against the master list to hopefully improve my type filters.

Also, I suspect Vans' list includes:
    - Foreign-registered RVs, and
    - US RVs that have been deregistered

...which mine doesn't. There are, for instance, about 350 RV-6s that have been removed from the registry. These will include both destroyed/abandoned aircraft as well as those exported to other countries. 22 RV-10s are listed on the deregistered list, of which 15 have been exported.

Ron Wanttaja

Also, for the RV-12, I list ONLY those registered as Experimental Amateur-Built. My database shows 523 RV-12s of all certifications.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I try to find non-standard registrations as much as I can... for the RV-10, for instance, I use:

Like "*RV-10*" Or Like "*RV 10*" Or Like "*RV10*" Or Like "*VANS 10*" It certainly doesn't catch the "Joes Ten" registrations, but its unknown how often those sorts of variations are made.

If anyone has an N-Number list, I'd be happy to run them against the master list to hopefully improve my type filters.

Also, I suspect Vans' list includes:
    - Foreign-registered RVs, and
    - US RVs that have been deregistered

...which mine doesn't. There are, for instance, about 350 RV-6s that have been removed from the registry. These will include both destroyed/abandoned aircraft as well as those exported to other countries. 22 RV-10s are listed on the deregistered list, of which 15 have been exported.

Ron Wanttaja
    Dang, how could I miss the obvious about the foreign builds? Of course you are correct and that explains the discrepancy.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I don't see one Fisher Airplane. I know of three that are registered and flying today. I own one. I am sure there are a lot more then the three I know about. Maybe Fisher was left out for a reason that I do not know about.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I don't see one Fisher Airplane. I know of three that are registered and flying today. I own one. I am sure there are a lot more then the three I know about. Maybe Fisher was left out for a reason that I do not know about.
    All aircraft types are extracted using a filter process that has to be set up manually. They do not automatically "pop out." If an aircraft type is not shown, it's because I haven't set up the appropriate filters for it.

Best I can do with my Fisher filters is 149 total aircraft. Of those, 96 are definitely Experimental Amateur-Built, 34 have ambiguous certification (none listed in the FAA registration entry), and 17 are Experimental Light Sport (which wouldn't be included in my EAB list).

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    All aircraft types are extracted using a filter process that has to be set up manually. They do not automatically "pop out." If an aircraft type is not shown, it's because I haven't set up the appropriate filters for it.

Best I can do with my Fisher filters is 149 total aircraft. Of those, 96 are definitely Experimental Amateur-Built, 34 have ambiguous certification (none listed in the FAA registration entry), and 17 are Experimental Light Sport (which wouldn't be included in my EAB list).

Ron Wanttaja
    That's interesting. I was under the impression that a Light Sport certificate was for E-LSA airplanes, for which none of the Fishers would qualify. They can be Experimental, and they can meet Light Sport Aircraft limits, but they can't be registered as E-LSA. Unless you get a DAR who makes a mistake, and apparently those just never get corrected. I think there has been a fair amount of confusion and inconsistency around the Light Sport rules. For example, I own an RV-12 that was built and is registered as E-LSA... but the manufacturer is listed as the builder, not Van's as should be listed.

I can see why it's such a challenge to produce anything more than general results, or comarative year by year results from that database. There is very little consistency and almost no absolutes thay apply across the board.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    That's interesting. I was under the impression that a Light Sport certificate was for E-LSA airplanes, for which none of the Fishers would qualify. They can be Experimental, and they can meet Light Sport Aircraft limits, but they can't be registered as E-LSA. Unless you get a DAR who makes a mistake, and apparently those just never get corrected. I think there has been a fair amount of confusion and inconsistency around the Light Sport rules. For example, I own an RV-12 that was built and is registered as E-LSA.
    You're absolutely correct...the way the rules are now. An airplane can be registered as Experimental Light Sport only if the kit maker goes through the process to get approval of an example of the aircraft under the Consensus standards

However, when the Light Sport process was implemented, there was a transition process. For instance, they allowed non-Part 103 compliant aircraft register as Experimental Light Sport without requiring showing compliance with ASTM standards.

At the same time, they allowed ANY homebuilt aircraft, not yet certified, to be licensed as Experimental Light Sport aircraft if it met the Part 1 definition. A number of homebuilders took advantage of the window (IIRC, it was about 18 months long) and licensed traditional homebuilts as ELSA. I was actually contemplating buying a Fly Baby project at the time, to license it as ELSA.

I strongly suspect that most, if not all, of those Fishers fell under that category. I don't have access to my database at the moment, but I believe all the Fisher LSAs I saw were the transition certification category. It's either 48A or 48B (48C is for aircraft transitioned from SLSA to ELSA).

Ron Wanttaja